By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - More than 20,000 retailers to open at midnight for Gears 2

Got this on VG247.

http://www.videogaming247.com/

Microsoft’s put out a press release claiming that more than 20,000 retailers are going to be opening their doors at midnight next week to herald the launch of Gears of War 2.

The big events in London, LA and New York are:

• London: GAME at 64-66 Clarence Street, Kingston Upon Thames, KT1 1NP

“Gears of War” comic book artist Liam Sharp and Microsoft Game Studios staff will be on location to participate in the launch activities and give away “Gears of War 2” merchandise.

• Los Angeles: GameStop at Universal City Walk, 1000 Universal Studios Blvd, Universal City, CA 91608

Xbox LIVE’s Major Nelson will MC the event, which will feature special appearances and autograph signings by Cliff Bleszinski of Epic Games. “Gears of War 2” voice actors including John DiMaggio (Marcus Fenix), Lester “Rasta” Speight (Augustus Cole) and Carlos Ferro (Dominic Santiago) will also be in attendance. Additionally, fans will have the unique opportunity to mug with a real life “Delta Squad” – costumed characters from Nightmare Armor Studios will be patrolling the GameStop, and tons of free “Gears of War 2” merchandise will be given away throughout the evening.

Please note that lineups will not begin before 11 a.m. PST.

• New York: Best Buy, 622 Broadway, New York, NY 10012

Epic Games’ senior producer Rod Fergusson along with Epic Games team members will interact with the crowd and autograph copies of the game in addition to free “Gears of War 2” merchandise.

• We are practically shitting ourselves with excitement. We’ve booked TV space off our wives and everything.

Press release after the link.

Read more »

I wonder how much hardware it will shift?

Around the Network

i dont think it will shift that much hardware at all becasue anyone who wanted gears will have got the 1st one and a 360.

It doesnt have anyhting never been seen in consoles before to be overly impressive unlike Resistance, with its 60 person online.

oliminator1994 said:
    i dont think it will shift that much hardware at all becasue anyone who wanted gears will have got the 1st one and a 360.

It doesnt have anyhting never been seen in consoles before to be overly impressive unlike Resistance, with its 60 person online.

If that concept its true than R2 wont move anything cause anyone who liked the first one already has a PS3 right?

oliminator1994 said:

Ugh can you not just reply to what the topic is about? I bet you say that in all the gears 2 threads.

20,000 thats pretty big, I wonder in comparison how many were open for Halo 3?

Only geeks care about 60 person online and they already bought a PS3. No system sellers, how did fable 2 go with that theory? How about LBP, wait till next week i guess

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network

Next person to make an entirely unrelated troll comment is going to be warned and/or banned. Just shutup. No one cares.

Anyways, I'm expecting this game to be huge. The 360 might even be able to sell more than the PS3 in PAL when this launches. It's a possibility.

My bestbuy is doing that as well. Pretty surprised to me. although i'm not scheduled to work that day.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
    Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
    selnor
    : Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
    Episode 2:
    Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
    According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
    MontanaHatchet said:
    Next person to make an entirely unrelated troll comment is going to be warned and/or banned. Just shutup. No one cares.

Anyways, I'm expecting this game to be huge. The 360 might even be able to sell more than the PS3 in PAL when this launches. It's a possibility.

This game will be huge and sell millions, so I'm not sure why people think a hardware boost won't happen?! Sure a lot of gears 1 owners will be buying the sequal but this game can/will sway a lot of the undecided to buy a 360, I already know a person yet to buy a 360 but they have told me the first game they will buy will be gears 2.

I think we should all be ready for a huge launch number for GeOW. Maybe greater than GTA4 on 360.

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murders will foam up about their waist and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

....and I'll look down and whisper  "no."  

- Rorschach

seece said:
    MontanaHatchet said:

This game will be huge and sell millions, so I'm not sure why people think a hardware boost won't happen?! Sure a lot of gears 1 owners will be buying the sequal but this game can/will sway a lot of the undecided to buy a 360, I already know a person yet to buy a 360 but they have told me the first game they will buy will be gears 2.

About 3 people I know in my college have decided to get a 360 based on this game alone (a couple others got one for Fable II).

Consoles Owned: XBOX 360, Wii, DS and PSP.