By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Boku (Nor was never meant to be) LBP

I tried posting this in the Boku thread but it seems people are not interested in the truth...

I was at the demo during the Microsoft Research Keynote speech at Microsoft PDC (Professional Developers Conference). And I got to talk to the Microsoft Research guy working on it afterwards.

This is not a game in the pipe to compete with LittleBigPlanet. What you don't see hear is that before this montage, they explain that this is a product of a person at Microsoft Research and his wife teaching their 9 year old kid how to program in C#. What they want to do is train programming as a life skill in the future just like finance, interpersonal, time management skills, etc. Boku is simply a tool that helps engrain the concepts of programming into a young person's head. It is not a game to compete with LBP.  It is being done by Microsoft Research which implies that it is RESEARCH not a product.  Microsoft Research has put their stuff into products but this is years later and it almost never looks like the original concept.  This is only about education and research.  The team that did this was about five people.  LBP had hundreds working on it.

Microsoft Research's full presentation can be found here:

http://mschnlnine.vo.llnwd.net/d1/pdc08/WMV-HQ/KYN04.wmv

It is near the end. In the last 30-45 minutes if I remember right.

Around the Network

I approve this thread!

Boku != LBP

noslodecoy said:
I approve this thread!

Boku != LBP

This.  And the OP.  I approve this thread.

Sorry dude....most people base stuff off the OP, and it was right in the thread title that it could be seen as a competitor to LBP. You can't be mad at people for "jumping" to the conclusion.

I do agree with you though, they are not that similar and are fairly unrelated.

Torillian said:
Sorry dude....most people base stuff off the OP, and it was right in the thread title that it could be seen as a competitor to LBP. You can't be mad at people for "jumping" to the conclusion.

I do agree with you though, they are not that similar and are fairly unrelated.

Just goes to show how badly people process and validate information.  And then come to absolutely insane and stupid fanboy conclusions.  Let it be a lesson to everyone.  Get the facts and the context before jumping to conclusions.

Around the Network

Speaking of titles, isn't this one missing some words.  Shouldn't there be an "is not" or something to that effect?

Yakuzaice said:

Speaking of titles, isn't this one missing some words.  Shouldn't there be an "is not" or something to that effect?

I tried to do the VisualBasic version of not equal...  Less then followed by greater then...  Got lost in the HTML tagging.

Ok 2 mins into his talk about Boku makes me SUPER EXCITED!

The system is basic programming... if then statements and such only it's shown in pictures... all controlled with the 360 controller... the possibility of this getting into our school... hell into our nursing homes is awesome... this is something that they should def get into children's hospitals.

agree with the exception of 1 thing. Little big planet only had 25 working on it :p

Check out my game about moles ^