By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Bush's final plan to gaurantee his place in history.

I agree that it is not biased.

Around the Network

Someone should make a reality show where free-market worshippers can live out their Darwinistic economic fantasies for a few years on some remote island. Let's see how many come out alive.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
Someone should make a reality show where free-market worshippers can live out their Darwinistic economic fantasies for a few years on some remote island. Let's see how many come out alive.

that would be awesome.

akuma587 said:
Jackson50 said:
steven787 said: Of course all the genius amateur-free market-economists on the internet would not know that, because they've never tried to actually learn about it.

I concur with this sentiment. I am shocked at how many people have never heard of an externality. There are some cases where government involvement is necessary. Now, I probably disagree with some of you on the amount of regulation required in certain areas, but to automatically state that less regulation is good without thoroughly assessing the situation is…silly. 

Hey!  There is obviously no harm to anyone allowing corporations to pump lead into the air and dump toxins into our rivers.  Shouldn't we be more concerned with how this will affect the market?  I mean those corporations might have to pay a few thousand dollars to dispose of their waste properly.  That it money that is being taken out of your pocket to spread the wealth around that hurts Joe The Plumber and Suzie the Sailor and Billy the Builder.

I love Billy the builder he's so cute... oh, wait, that's Bob the Builder... sorry about the confusion.

Damn FDA causing my food, which is the cheapest and most plentiful in the world (by PPP per capita), to be slightly more expensive.  I'm sure glad the government made sure it was no longer the safest.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

NJ5 said:

To be fair, even the "less wrong" Scandinavian modern economic doctrines might prove impractical in a hunter-gatherer society on a deserted island. =P

Around the Network
Parokki said:
NJ5 said:

To be fair, even the "less wrong" Scandinavian modern economic doctrines might prove impractical in a hunter-gatherer society on a deserted island. =P

I didn't say it would be a hunter-gatherer society. The whole point of the exercise would be to see what kind of society they'd build!

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
Parokki said:
NJ5 said:

I didn't say it would be a hunter-gatherer society. The whole point of the exercise would be to see what kind of society they'd build!

Considering that most free-market worshipers never worked with their hands their whole lives, they would probably all die or kill each other.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

NJ5 said:I didn't say it would be a hunter-gatherer society. The whole point of the exercise would be to see what kind of society they'd build!

Well, the premise would seem to make sense, but I think it is ultimately spurious. A free-market system is predicated on an independent judiciary and a police force to enforce those laws.