By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - OMG... the Economist endorses Obama.

I saw that politicized ant/grasshopper story a while ago ... as in WAY before 2008. Someone shoved Obama's name in there and spammed it out, no doubt.

... that story is completely insane. I think it's saying that affirmative action goes past communism all the way to reverse capitalism?

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network
Coca-Cola said:
Remember the old Ant and grasshopper story?
Here is a new one to fit today. who wants to be the ant?

(I didn't write it)

The ant works hard in the withering heat all summer long,
building his house and laying up supplies for the winter.
The grasshopper thinks the ant is a fool and laughs and
dances and plays the summer away.
Come winter, the shivering grasshopper calls a press
conference and demands to know why the ant should be
allowed to be warm and well fed while others are cold and starving.
CBS, NBC, PBS, CNN, and ABC show up to provide pictures of the shivering
grasshopper next to a video of the ant in his comfortable home with a
table filled with food. America is stunned by the sharp contrast.
How can this be, that in a country of such wealth, this
poor grasshopper is allowed to suffer so ?
Kermit the Frog appears on Oprah with the grasshopper, and everybody
cries when they sing, 'It's Not Easy Being Green.'
Jesse Jackson stages a demonstration in front of the
ant's house where the news stations film the group
singing, 'We shall overcome.' Jesse then has the
group kneel down to pray to God for the grasshopper's
sake.
Nancy Pelosi & John Kerry exclaim in an interview with
Larry King that the ant has gotten rich off the back of the
grasshopper, and both call for an immediate tax hike on the ant to make
him pay his fair share.
Hillary and Barack go on national television agreeing that
the plight of the grasshopper is the fault of George Bush.
Finally, the EEOC drafts the Economic Equity &
Anti-Grasshopper Act retroactive to the beginning of the
summer. The ant is fined for failing to hire a proportionate number
of green bugs and, having nothing left to pay his
retroactive taxes, his home is confiscated by the
government.
Obama gets his old law firm to represent the grasshopper in a defamation
suit against the ant, and the case is tried
before a panel of federal judges that Bill Clinton
appointed from a list of single-parent welfare recipients.
The ant loses the case.
The story ends as we see the grass hopper finishing up the last bits of
the ant's food while the government house
he is in, which just happens to be the ant's old house,
crumbles around him because he doesn't maintain it.
The ant has disappeared in the snow.
The grasshopper is found dead in a drug related incident
and the house, now abandoned, is taken over by a gang of spiders who
terrorize the once peaceful neighborhood.

You forgot to mention that the spiders are African Americans who smoke crack and rape white women.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

whatever said:
"Somehow Ronald Reagan’s party of western individualism and limited government has ended up not just increasing the size of the state but turning it into a tool of southern-fried moralism."

This statement pretty much says it all. The republican party has been consumed by the religious nuts.

Which is why I'm going to be voting Obama. I've had enough and I made my decision a few days ago.

Er... Well, I'll vote for Barack if California ever sends me my absentee ballot. Not much time left.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

steven787 said:

He and Gulianni were the only two that had a chance, I was seriously considering voiting for McCain until he proved that he was not a good leader. He's not true to himself, he thinks he's right all the time, and he has really bad judgement.

Obama did win my vote, but more, I think McCain will be why he will lose the election.

We'll know in a few days.

Edit: and Stof, I love you too, but not in a guy-love kinda way.

I disagree with your assessment. I think Thompson would have been a good candidate for the Republicans. 

Anyways, I foresaw this happening. After they supported the bailout a month or so ago, I had an inkling they were going to endorse Obama...or pull a Detroit News and endorse neither of the main candidates.

Jackson50 said:
steven787 said:

He and Gulianni were the only two that had a chance, I was seriously considering voiting for McCain until he proved that he was not a good leader. He's not true to himself, he thinks he's right all the time, and he has really bad judgement.

Obama did win my vote, but more, I think McCain will be why he will lose the election.

We'll know in a few days.

Edit: and Stof, I love you too, but not in a guy-love kinda way.

I disagree with your assessment. I think Thompson would have been a good candidate for the Republicans. 

Anyways, I foresaw this happening. After they supported the bailout a month or so ago, I had an inkling they were going to endorse Obama...or pull a Detroit News and endorse neither of the main candidates.

Actually, in the general election, I think you're right.  Thompson may have been able to do well.  But he was never going to make it through the primaries.

Like Chris Dodd and Joe Biden in the Democratic Primaries, Thompson was just another face in the crowd.  The republican party in general didn't pick McCain, they just couldn't unite behind anyone else.  Plus, the non-distributive delegates made it almost impossible for anyone but McCain to win.  They just were too divided over the other candidates.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Around the Network

Thompson, along with Giuliani, were the biggest letdowns in the primary. Both were hailed as messiahs who could guide the party through to a White House victory, while both essentially fell flat on their faces.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

I remember asking my uncle, who is the Research Director for Gov. Granholm, who the he and his fellow Democrats feared the most in the general election. I was suspecting him to say McCain or Giuliani, but he surprised me when he intimated that they feared Thompson the most. I figured he was the GOP's best shot...and so did the Dems. As you guys pointed out, and to the chagrin of the Republicans, he was a lackluster candidate. Haha...silly Republicans.

It's because Law & Order is such a good show. If he'd proposed naming Sam Waterston as Attorney General it would have been a landslide victory.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!

Final-Fan said:
It's because Law and Order is such a good show. If he'd proposed naming Sam Waterston as Attorney General it would have been a landslide victory.

I would vote for Sam Watterson.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

I dunno, Waterston's been President a couple times before and it always leads to trouble...