By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - OMG... the Economist endorses Obama.

steven787 said:
LOL... Atheist and Religious then.

He was talking about your inability to comprehend complex ideas unless presented in terms of polar opposites. His mention of Christians v. Muslims wasn't guessing your religion, it was just an example of one of the common logical fallacies.

Yea, I know what me meant...

Being that he only directed that argument my direction, I figured he pegged me as a Republican Christian. Akuma and Ghost are so far down the liberal path it's pathetic. Hell, neither one of them even like this country. Akuma would far rather live in France, and Ghost only likes 1 state in the US (California), yet I am the one with black and white views.

Around the Network

It's really strange that I am the most religious one, I'm jew-ish (dammit used the ish joke two posts in a row)... Actually, I don't know about Akuma.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

TheRealMafoo said:
steven787 said:
LOL... Atheist and Religious then.

He was talking about your inability to comprehend complex ideas unless presented in terms of polar opposites. His mention of Christians v. Muslims wasn't guessing your religion, it was just an example of one of the common logical fallacies.

Yea, I know what me meant...

Being that he only directed that argument my direction, I figured he pegged me as a Republican Christian. Akuma and Ghost are so far down the liberal path it's pathetic. Hell, neither one of them even like this country. Akuma would far rather live in France, and Ghost only likes 1 state in the US (California), yet I am the one with black and white views

If you're Libertarian, aren't you as liberal as me on the social scale?  How is that not pathetic?

I'll like other states when they do something cool, but right now California is our capital for film, music, and technology.

@steven, I'm pretty sure akuma's Christian, but he hates the radical right, and I'm atheist as all hell.

Every one knows you're an atheist... nobody who fears god would be take so much pleasure being a always naked Raoul Duke.

Around the Network

Mixed economies are the way to go. As with everything in life, going to extremes is a bad idea. Europe isn't one country btw, so I'd stop talking about it as such as European countries vary significantly in regards to welfare policy etc.

The Ghost of RubangB said:

If you're Libertarian, aren't you as liberal as me on the social scale?  How is that not pathetic?

I'll like other states when they do something cool, but right now California is our capital for film, music, and technology.

See, this is what I don't get.  Why am I the only ex-Libertarian or Libertarian who votes dem.  You can vote away your economic freedoms and then bitch and complain to get them back but it's a lot harder to get your civil liberties back.

steven787 said:

See, this is what I don't get.  Why am I the only ex-Libertarian or Libertarian who votes dem.  You can vote away your economic freedoms and then bitch and complain to get them back but it's a lot harder to get your civil liberties back.

Two reasons. One is while I want abortion to be legal, gay marriage, legalizing drugs... all that stuff... in the end, none of that effects me directly. I am not gay, will never have an abortion, and don't do drugs (not illegal ones anyway).

And the other reason is if I did want to do those things, the government is very bad at stopping me. Abortion is legal, Drugs anyone can get, and if I was gay, I am sure 90% of my lifestyle would be permitted.

The government however is extremely good at taking away my economic freedoms. You don't pay your taxes, and they will find you.

So I vote for the freedoms that the government sucks at taking away. if a Libertarian had a snow balls chance in hell of wining, I would vote for him or her. The closest thing we had was Ron Paul, and look how that turned out.

steven787 said:

You're not. As of this election, had I been allowed to vote (it appears that California fucked up my absentee ballot), I would have voted Obama.

With most Libertarians, I think it's a give-take trade. In the past, I found the dogmatic social principles of the Republican party tolerable because they, by and large, spent less than the Democrats when in power. See Clinton's 1994-1998 Congresses for examples of this. Also, in case you haven't noticed, the Republicans give the Religious Right mic time and little else. They squawk a lot but nothing got done - well, until the Patriot Act, but that's part of my next point...

Now, the Republicans spend more, try to restrict us more privately, and basically fail on every principles of the Libertarian Party past "tax less". I think you'll see more and more Libertarians vote Democrat until this changes.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

steven787 said:
It's really strange that I am the most religious one, I'm jew-ish (dammit used the ish joke two posts in a row)... Actually, I don't know about Akuma.

I'm actually fairly religious.  I can't stand most other Christians, especially in the South, but I know a lot about the Bible and am pretty attached to Christianity, although I rarely if ever go to church.  I'm really into collegiate research on Christianity and the Bible.

It helped that I was more or less agnostic for awhile.  I regularly end up siding with secular progressive people on social issues because I disagree with most of what the Republican party stands for, except some economic issues.  Most of my friends are atheist or agnostic, and I generally prefer those kind of people to religious people.  They are just easier to get along with generally and don't have their heads up their ass.  Not to mention they usually have better taste in art, my other big passion.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson