By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - For peopl in US: do ouknowhow to drive a stick?

Dogs Rule said:
It's called kick-down. When you suddenly press harder on the pedal to accelerate harder, your gearbox will automatically downshift.

I'm Canadian and I have never driven manual.

Yeah my dad's last car had that, if you floor it it will go down a gear and keep the revs high as it goes back up the gears.

Usually he buys manual though, as do most people in the UK at the moment.

Around the Network
TWRoO said:
Dogs Rule said:
It's called kick-down. When you suddenly press harder on the pedal to accelerate harder, your gearbox will automatically downshift.

I'm Canadian and I have never driven manual.

Yeah my dad's last car had that, if you floor it it will go down a gear and keep the revs high as it goes back up the gears.

Usually he buys manual though, as do most people in the UK at the moment.

Most people in the UK drive on the wrong side of the road though :P

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

I've only met one person in my life who drives automatic.

Nearly everybody in my country drives cars with a manual gear change, I assume it's the same all over Europe.

Is there another country outside USA where people prefer automatic? Canada?

lightbleeder said:
I'm not saying manual is better than automatic, nowadays some automatic transmissions can be superior for taking control of the car, I was just wondering if forum member from US know how to use a stick, I prefer manual myself. One friend of mine that lives in US bought a manual car there and he told me that the seller tried to convince him to buy an automatic, that's pretty weird...

1. Automatics cost more that manuals, at least in the US they do.
2. Why is that wierd? If your not trying to race all the time, what is the benefit of manual? All automatics will drop down in gear if you floor it to increase your performance for passing or something. Automatics are just easier. Your hands are always free to steer or eat or talk on phone or smack a kid or unzip pants and pull out ... oh sorry. I got sidetracked.

superchunk said:
lightbleeder said:
I'm not saying manual is better than automatic, nowadays some automatic transmissions can be superior for taking control of the car, I was just wondering if forum member from US know how to use a stick, I prefer manual myself. One friend of mine that lives in US bought a manual car there and he told me that the seller tried to convince him to buy an automatic, that's pretty weird...

2. Why is that wierd? If your not trying to race all the time, what is the benefit of manual? All automatics will drop down in gear if you floor it to increase your performance for passing or something. Automatics are just easier. Your hands are always free to steer or eat or talk on phone or smack a kid or unzip pants and pull out ... oh sorry. I got sidetracked.

Manual transmisions save gas, with reportedly up to 2mpg better fuel economy. Although, that is probably becoming less and less true with some of the new CVTs (continuously variable transmisions).

Anyways, of course I can drive stick, and I prefer it any day over a manual, as it makes driving more fun. Even if I'm not racing, it keeps me engaged in the driving.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Around the Network
superchunk said:
lightbleeder said:

It's more a matter of preferences than benefits, I'm not a racer and I don't drive fast but I'd rather drive a stick.

I drive a manual and I would rather be castrated before having to drive an automatic.

Also Fuel Economy is a big differance. Automatics waste gas like hell.

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

Does anyone in Europe know how to throw a football? haha

Fact: Earthbound is the greatest game ever made

I swear by a stick. When I got my new car I ended up paying extra for the features I didn't want to get the manual transmission.

I used to have to drive to race and get away from cops when I was a young'n. So people tend to say I drive like a guy. Which strangely enough seems to make dudes love me so much for it. Or for a select few scare them haha.

[2:08:58 am] Moongoddess256: being asian makes you naturally good at ddr
[2:09:22 am] gnizmo: its a weird genetic thing
[2:09:30 am] gnizmo: goes back to hunting giant crabs in feudal Japan

I think I could learn within 2 attempts. I've just never HAD a manual transmission to do it with.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her