By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - EA 2nd Quarter Fiscal Year 2009 Results

EA is hemorrhaging money for some reason. Losing money Madden 1/4? For shame EA.

Around the Network

EA signed a contract to publish Epic Game's portfolio. Midways contract is up! finally!

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

darthdevidem01 said:
This is in the quarter before FIFA.....hence PS3 is low

360 will Dominate sales for EA even more pronounce in this current qtr than the last for the following reasons

- Left4Dead is a 360 exclusive

- Rockband 2 is selling slow on the ps3 - 600K on 360 vice 100k on ps3

- Merc 2 is selling more on the 360 (560K vs 3100

- Dead Space is selling stronger on hte 360, curerntly by 110K

- Although FIFA is 100K more on ps3

The myth has been busted about how 360 is slipping with 3rd party.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

DMeisterJ said:
EA is hemorrhaging money for some reason. Losing money Madden 1/4? For shame EA.

EA looks to have expensed out ALOT of work during the qtr that madden was launched, so that's not really a biggie, not like the ugly report 2K Games is going to report for this qtr, given the staggeringly poor performance of Bioshock on the ps3, and the excessive amount of resources they poured into that project, with expectations to deliver ROI, based on the nearly 2 million sold on the 360...WOW...that's goign to be ugly for them, and it's going to make EA look like a dream!

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

heruamon said:
DMeisterJ said:

EA looks to have expensed out ALOT of work during the qtr that madden was launched, so that's not really a biggie, not like the ugly report 2K Games is going to report for this qtr, given the staggeringly poor performance of Bioshock on the ps3, and the excessive amount of resources they poured into that project, with expectations to deliver ROI, based on the nearly 2 million sold on the 360...WOW...that's goign to be ugly for them, and it's going to make EA look like a dream!

And it's beside the point that Bioshock's PS3 sales won't be on the report......

You got some PS3 hate dwelling within you.

It seems that their contracts and such outweighed the Madden gains.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
heruamon said:
DMeisterJ said:

And it's beside the point that Bioshock's PS3 sales won't be on the report......

2K Games is with Take-Two, not EA, and while I'm bias in favor of 360 in a major way, my point in mentioning it wasn't to just rib the ps3, as easy as it is, but instead to point out that project that proved to be a disaster for Take-Two.  Incase you didn't know, EA tried a coup d'etat of TakeTwo, and it fell thru, so in hindsight, that would have been more failed projects to futher sap EA's outlook for the future. 

heruamon said:
outlawauron said:
heruamon said:
DMeisterJ said:

2K Games is with Take-Two, not EA, and while I'm bias in favor of 360 in a major way, my point in mentioning it wasn't to just rib the ps3, as easy as it is, but instead to point out that project that proved to be a disaster for Take-Two.  Incase you didn't know, EA tried a coup d'etat of TakeTwo, and it fell thru, so in hindsight, that would have been more failed projects to futher sap EA's outlook for the future. 

I disagree. A year old port may do well over 300-400k when its done, nothing great, but more than enough to pay for the port.

And the money EA would have lost would deal with the actual purchase price of Take Two. 

And I suggest you stop doing more of what I've bolded. You will be warned soon.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

WARNED...FOR WHAT??? WTF have I stated that is blatantly wrong and out basis of fact? The "as easy as it is" comment? R u kidding me...with people launching topic aobut how 360 is dead...gimme a break here. I'm pointing out the fact that when EA reported their earnings last qtr...ALOT of sony fanboys were ALL OVER the fact that 3rd parties where making money hanover fist for the ps3, and at THAT TIME, I stated that it wsa due to launch of title sked, and not some systemic shift...this qtr PROVED ME CORRECT, as will the current one we are in. My purpose in mentioning 2K Game's disasterous port of Bioshock was based on 2 things, EA tried to buy it, and th game received ALOT of buzz over how 2K Games had "invested" so much more in porting it over with new content and improved gameplay, and the game is looking to sell about 10% of what it did on the 360. FACTs my friend, not my opinions.

BTW, any mods online, please review my post and cc me if I'm out of line here, since I thought I was clearly in my rights to provide an opinionated analysis of these results....which are JUST as opinionated as the one we saw when ubisoft reported..."fair and balanced"...just not like FOXNEWS.

RolStoppable said:
Sonic Chronicles being the best DS game at the Games Convention is simply disgusting.

But anyway, looks like Electronic Arts is selling more games on 360, PS3 and PSP than a year ago and their losses have increased. Hm...

Lol sonic chronicles is not even a good game...

I do not feel sorry for EA. Their games on the Wii, about 99% of them, are crappy casual games.
They seem to have forgotten that there is a core audience on the Wii also. Yet they will never treat the Wii as any thing else than a casual platform. EA, red looks good on you.

End rant:

If Nintendo is successful at the moment, it’s because they are good, and I cannot blame them for that. What we should do is try to be just as good.----Laurent Benadiba