By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Pre-owned market is "defrauding the industry"

The used market is necessary to an efficient economy, like any good. In this case, it provides incentive for developers to make their games better quality with replay value, since poor games will flood the market as resales.

Around the Network

I don't have a problem with stores selling used games, but it should be clear to the person who is buying the game that the game is used.

I rent movies, I rent games, I sell used games on ebay, I buy used games on ebay. If I had to pay 60 dollars for every 6 hour game that came along, I wouldn't buy many games.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Ail said:
Easy, only ship 90% of the game on the DVD and require the user to download the last 10% !

I should patent this !

Umm....I think there might be some sort of backlash and/or legal action against a company who sold a big game, that didn't work unless it was brand new, lol.

You know gamestop employees play all the new games? They are just required to return it "looking new" or they have to pay for it.

It would also destroy gamespot, gamefly, and the gaming economy in general would be taking in far less money. Less people would actually buy these games.

Right now, the industry just isn't equipped for such broad ranging change, in order to make more money than they already do. Nintendo, for instance, will never, ever do something like that, lol. They barely even lower the price of their games, and they still sell forever.

It would be the equivelant of....if your DVDs would only play on your DVD player. It might be something people like us understand the reasoning behind, but it just wouldn't be accepted by a wide audience.

As for your suggestion, I assume you mean, you need a 1 time download code in order to DL the last 10 percent. If not, then it wouldn't address the problem whatsoever.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Ail said:
Easy, only ship 90% of the game on the DVD and require the user to download the last 10% !

I should patent this !

Isn't this pretty much standard for games this gen?  Although, they are calling it DLC or day 1 patches.

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
Final-Fan said:
I came in here ready to rip the OP to shreds and while I do disagree especially with the part the title comes from other parts of the article make at least one decent point: used game stores selling used games for prices only $5 less than new is ridiculous
Don't blame the used game retailers, blame stupid customers for that.

The problem is that you can't "fix" stupid customers. They will always exist. Unfortunately, the developer is the one who gets hurt by them in this particular case.

...which is actually exactly what I said at the beginning of the very next paragraph, except I disagree that this particular stupidity actually hurts developers/publishers.  (Except insofar as envy is painful to them.)

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Ail said:

I should patent this !

Umm....I think there might be some sort of backlash and/or legal action against a company who sold a big game, that didn't work unless it was brand new, lol.

You know gamestop employees play all the new games? They are just required to return it "looking new" or they have to pay for it.

It would also destroy gamespot, gamefly, and the gaming economy in general would be taking in far less money. Less people would actually buy these games.

Right now, the industry just isn't equipped for such broad ranging change, in order to make more money than they already do. Nintendo, for instance, will never, ever do something like that, lol. They barely even lower the price of their games, and they still sell forever.

It would be the equivelant of....if your DVDs would only play on your DVD player. It might be something people like us understand the reasoning behind, but it just wouldn't be accepted by a wide audience.

As for your suggestion, I assume you mean, you need a 1 time download code in order to DL the last 10 percent. If not, then it wouldn't address the problem whatsoever.

You assume right.

You could make it so that the same person could get the download several times in case they change gaming hardware ( make them register and stuff using the download code on the game box..)

For gamefly you could fix it by making rent only versions of the game ( the same thing they do for movies, you can't resell those copies). It would be in favor of both publishers and gamefly. Publishers would get their cut each time a movie in rented, gamefly wouldn't have to sell used copies of their game to balance their budget ( I somewhat doubt they do more than break even just on renting revenue...)

PS : Gamestop letting its employee play games and selling them as new is clearly not a practice that  is in the benefit of either the customer or the publisher so it's not really something I want to see in the future anyway......

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Yes Ail, I hate, hate hate gamestop.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Yes Ail, I hate, hate hate gamestop.

I'm going to preorder the wow expansion there this week-end and that will be my only purchase there in the last 2 years.

And I think I will make a point of checking the copy the day I get it to make sure it hasn't been tempered with......

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Yeah, and the used car market is hurting the car industry.

Come on.