By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 or AMD Phenom X4 9950 Quad Core?

I'm undecided, the Intel has more cache and the AMD has more Bus speed and I don't know very much about computers. Here are the full specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 Processor BX80580Q9400 - 2.66GHz, 6MB Cache, 1333MHz FSB, Yorkfield, Quad-Core, Retail, Socket 775, Processor with Fan

Specifications

Processor Speed:  Q9400 / 2.66GHz
  Processor Interface:  Socket 775
  Processor Class:  Core 2 Quad
  Processor Core:  Yorkfield
  Cache Size:  6MB L2
  Bus Speed:  1333MHz
  Additional Technologies:  Intel® EM64T
  Enhanced Intel Speedstep
  Execute Disable Bit
  Intel® Virtualization
  SSE
  SSE2
  SSE3
  Quad-Core
  Intel® Thermal Monitor 2
  SSE4.1
  Architecture:  45 nm
  Wattage:  95W
  Core Stepping:  R0
  Fan:  Included

AMD Phenom X4 9950 Quad Core Processor HD995ZXAGHBOX - Black Edition, 2.60GHz, 4MB Cache, 2000MHz (4000 MT/s) FSB, Agena, Quad-Core, Retail, Socket AM2+, Processor with Fan

Processor Speed:  9950 / 2.60GHz
  Processor Interface:  Socket AM2+
  Processor Class:  Phenom X4
  Processor Core:  Agena
  Cache Size:  2MB L3
  4 x 512KB L2
  Bus Speed:  2000MHz (4000 MT/s)
  Additional Technologies:  MMX
  Enhanced Virus Protection
  SSE
  SSE2
  SSE3
  Quad-Core
  AMD64
  AMD Virtualization
  Cool'n'Quiet 2.0
  HyperTransport 3.0
  SSE4a
  Architecture:  65 nm
  Wattage:  125W
  Stepping:  B3
  Fan:  Included

And yes I'm trying to build a PC for gaming

Around the Network

Intel ...easily. Use any hardware comparison charts. Intel has been spanking AMD since the inception of the Core 2 Duo architecture.

Price difference for your selected CPU's:

AMD - $184
Intel - $269

I personally suggest the Intel Q6600 for $189. Still beats the AMD CPU, costs about the same and can be overclocked on the stock CPU fan really well.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115017

The rEVOLution is not being televised

The Intel chip wins, but like Viper1 said, the AMD chip is much cheaper so you should compare it to others in its price range. Clock speed is not an indicator of performance!

Against the Q6600, which is Intel's offering in the AMD price range, the X4 9950 beats the Q6600 in games in most cases:

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3344&p=15

This shows the X4 9950 leading in 3 of 4 games.

So, get the AMD chip unless the Q6600 is much cheaper at the time. If you can afford the Q9400, then get that as AMD has no competition in that range.

It depends on what you're getting as graphic card aswell... if you're getting an ATI card, I'd go with the phenom. If you're getting anything else, and price didn't matter, then go with the intel brain.

I'd like to point out something though. The phenom is the only real quad core processor out there even though for some things (look for it on anandtech) the Intel C2Q out powers it.

I am a Gamer... I play games and not consoles. I have a PC and Console on which I game... I like games. End of Story!

Shoestar said:
It depends on what you're getting as graphic card aswell... if you're getting an ATI card, I'd go with the phenom. If you're getting anything else, and price didn't matter, then go with the intel brain.

What? It has no effect on performance whatever graphics cards you pair with CPUs. The decision should be based on price and performance alone.

I'd like to point out something though. The phenom is the only real quad core processor out there even though for some things (look for it on anandtech) the Intel C2Q out powers it.

Like I said, the X4 9950 is better than the Q6600. Don't confuse him with that 'native quad-core' stuff; performance is all that matters as feature set is pretty comparable.

Around the Network

I would also go with the intel chip since I just put one in my machine It has been running flawlessly.

Albion - Its Fun as Ballz !!!!!

Thanks guys! I'll go with the Q9400 then, I'm thinking about getting an ATI Radeon 4870 PCI-Express with 1GB memory. Will I be able to play games with this processor and hardware for at least 5 years? I'll be also getting 4GB of RAM...

lightbleeder said:
Thanks guys! I'll go with the Q9400 then, I'm thinking about getting an ATI Radeon 4870 PCI-Express with 1GB memory. Will I be able to play games with this processor and hardware for at least 5 years? I'll be also getting 4GB of RAM...

Most certainly.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

lightbleeder said:

Yes. That's a great video card choice. You are using a 64-bit OS, right? Otherwise the extra RAM will be pointless.

yup I'll be using Vista 64-bit, How much RAM can it handle? Maybe I'll upgrade to 8GB in the future...