By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What are the chances of Wii 2 using Blu-Ray? Educate me.

Viper1 said:
No chance. Nintendo recently co-wrote a patent with InPhase with regards to their Holographic optical media and mass storage solutions. They also plan to invest heavily in their R&D.

http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/tom-keating/video-hardware-software/nintendo-goes-holographic-wow-wii.asp

omg !

a game company co developing and integrating a brand new storage solution !

ninty goin the way of sony confirmed !

wii 2 price point 599,95$ thx to bluCristal ^_^

p.s.

so basically nintendo is going to invest billions just to get rid of piracy (estimated lifetime loss 387,6 million) and to avoid royalties ? smart ;)

Around the Network

After a scientific research (wiki) i came to the following conclusion:

Fear not nintendo fans, for holodisc has come !

http://www.inphase-technologies.com/media/inthebox_web.wmv

I thought it would be complete vaporware, but there even is a prototype, so it's on the same level as the 400 gb Bluraydisc, according to a lot of people here, it's basicly just around the corner.

The initial capacity for a 12 cm disc seems to be 300 gb, the target capacity over 1 terrabyte !

I can't believe it, nintendo joins the pissing contest and even bluray doesn't hold a candle against it.

Imagine uncompressed midi !!! Finally everythings prerendered, no need for dedicated rendering, no framedrops, no jaggies, like Dragon's lair, but interactive. That way the grfx will be at least 1080p. This will mark the end of the cpu/gpu arms race, the wii2 is going to be the one and only console !

afree_account said:
Viper1 said:
No chance. Nintendo recently co-wrote a patent with InPhase with regards to their Holographic optical media and mass storage solutions. They also plan to invest heavily in their R&D.

http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/tom-keating/video-hardware-software/nintendo-goes-holographic-wow-wii.asp

omg !

a game company co developing and integrating a brand new storage solution !

ninty goin the way of sony confirmed !

wii 2 price point 599,95$ thx to bluCristal ^_^

p.s.

so basically nintendo is going to invest billions just to get rid of piracy (estimated lifetime loss 387,6 million) and to avoid royalties ? smart ;)

I'll believe it when I see it. Nintendo hasn't posted a loss since they started making consoles even during the bad times.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

HappySqurriel said:

few people really have enough bandwith to be able to download 50GB or more for a single game.

Makes me wonder why devs concerned about piracy don't automatically fill the remainder of the disc with random garbage, just to increase the size of the game .ISO and make it harder to download.

I mean, makes sense to me...

SW-5120-1900-6153

The Wii is considerably more powerful than the most powerful 6th gen console (xbox) therefore the Wii2 will be more powerful than the PS3 or 360. my guess is all games will display in native 1080p

nintendo will not use blu ray discs, and here's why

Sony will not use Blu ray discs - PS1 CD Ps2 DVD PS3 Blu Ray Ps4 Blu Ray isn't quite a pattern

With the exception of this generation, Nintendo has created its own form of game storage every gen.

PS, MS will not use Blu Ray either - HD-Dvd or some variation thereupon, combined with downloadable games

Around the Network

All three of the next consoles will have Blu-Ray or some other drive format to store large game files on them and for downloading and storing downloads.

interesting..

Pixel Art can be fun.

ameratsu said:
Valkyria00 said:
ameratsu said:
kevin the wiiite said:
Nintendo will, once again, develop a proprietary format similar to competitor's but not as easily accessible so that it won't be hacked. It will also be worse than blu-ray but better than HD-DVD.

The Wii was hacked shortly after release.

I think hes talking about its discs not the Wii itself.

Well, clearly the format is not that secure because wii games can be ripped off nintendo's discs using a regular dvd drive, and the wii itself can be modded and will read regular dvd discs.

Yeah, but to get the discs you have to go to Nintendo.  Maybe they're just paranoid, like when back in the day when Codemasters started making bootleg NES carts and selling them to anybody who wanted to avoid Nintendo's liscensing fees.

i think it will, Nintendo will most likely try to attract more core gamers, and mentain the casuals at the same time!

also, after 2-3 years, Blu-ray will be much cheaper, and won't cost the system to fail, like the Ps3!

Wii console: 0595 8808 5698 2709
Super Smash Bros Brawl: 1161 1357 5188

Mario Kart Wii: 1633 4506 4319

PES 2008: 1633 5820 0347

DragonBall Z BT 3: 3823 9760 9484

Pokemon Battle Revolution: 3480 2645 9186
Feel free to add me, and sent me a pm with your Friend Code!!

Not much chance of it happening based on Nintendo's past record.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down