By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony profit plunges 72 percent

heruamon said:
So, using hte yen argument, nintendo's report should have a similar effect?

It would not be unexpected:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/102649-shareholders-await-nintendo-forecast

A large part of the forecast growth in net income occurred because Nintendo management revised expected exchange rates to 105 yen per U.S. dollar from 100 and to 160 yen per euro from 155. As of today the actual rates are 97 yen per dollar and 125 yen per euro.

The surging value of the yen and the rapidly deteriorating economic conditions spell trouble for Nintendo. Shareholders now need to hope that Nintendo has not lost money by investing its cash hoard in any financial instruments that have collapsed in value.

The recent collapse in the price of Nintendo stock to 22,000 yen on October 28th strongly suggests that shareholders need to brace themselves. The stock reached a high of 73,200 yen on November 1, 2007; therefore, it has fallen 70%.

However, Nintendo *should* be insulated with less exposure in the finance department and a smaller reliance on exports (66% of Nintendo's business versus 75% of SONY's). No way to really know until the financials are available.

In both cases however, it's notable that much of the downturn in the fortunes of these companies is due to falling corporate investments and the strengthening yen, and not a reflection of the product lines. Both companies are still profitable.

//tongue in cheek

Waahh, we only made 2 Billion instead of 3 Billion because of the exchange rate!!!

Around the Network

Oh no a multi-billion dollar corporation makes 21 billion yen as opposed to 70. This is such a big deal.

perpride said:
Oh no a multi-billion dollar corporation makes 21 billion yen as opposed to 70. This is such a big deal.

With profit margins of 1%, it is a big deal. Any small further disturbance and they're in the red.

The fact that they're considering business restructuring proves it is a big deal.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

The economy and falling dollar is really hurting them. I wonder if this will also affect Nintendo.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
The economy and falling dollar is really hurting them. I wonder if this will also affect Nintendo.

It will surely reduce their profit margins, especially in the holiday quarter I suspect. Still, they'll be nowhere near as low as Sony's. Nintendo's products have always been much more profitable (margin-wise).

Around the Network

NJ5 resurfaces to dis sony! lol. I am not too worried because i dont get paid by sony. As long as they are in the black its cool

xenophon13 said:
NJ5 resurfaces to dis sony! lol. I am not too worried because i dont get paid by sony. As long as they are in the black its cool

Lol. I've been around, though more in the offtopic forum than anywhere else lately.

NJ5 said:
outlawauron said:

It will surely reduce their profit margins, especially in the holiday quarter I suspect. Still, they'll be nowhere near as low as Sony's. Nintendo's products have always been much more profitable (margin-wise).

I know. They won't br drowning in their own money this quarter and next though.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:

It will, but they make so much damn profit, it won't do much.