By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why a year old games won't sell well?

As I had notice both Bioshock, Eternal Sonata and others year old game had perform not so good during the recent release.

what is the main reason out there in the market?? I am just curious.

Around the Network

Most people usually already played the games, if they're true gamers that is.

Or maybe some people couldn't play them before because they were short on money at the time these games were released, but usually they have friends as well...! ;)

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

niche games generally don't have legs unless it bundled.

by the time the port comes unless its hidden gem it won't sell.

No matter how much you hype an old game it will never sell as good as the orignal.

*Al Bundy's My Hero*

*Al Bundy For President*

Waiting On GT7!!!

PSN ID: Acidfacekiller

Some advertising and old games will see a little boost in sales

Around the Network
Bullet100000 said:
No matter how much you hype an old game it will never sell as good as the orignal.

Resident Evil 4

Because people prefer the new ones: LBP , FarCry , Fallout , Fable , R2
how can ES and Bioshock sell?? the new releases are much more appealing

Basically, as soon as a 'hardcore' game has been out on the market for more than a week, the hardest of the hardcore have already played through it, beaten everything there is to beat, and sold it back to gamestop for $5 towards the next week's game. Gamestop will sell these games to the customers for 50$ (or 40$ on the wii), making a huge profit, and not contributing to the sales totals for the game at all.

As for recent ports, it's you lose out on the committed fanbase, and if a game has been out for 6 months and it's really good like Bioshock, you've probably played it quite a bit, even if you don't own a 360, assuming somebody in your peer-group owns one.

Wii has more 20 million sellers than PS3 has 5 million sellers.

Acolyte of Disruption

I don't know if there is a single answer for this ...

One thing I can think of is the release of a highly anticipated game generally generates a lot of word-of-mouth and (gaming) media interest which dramatically increases interest in a game, while the release of a year old port tends to be pretty anti-climatic.

Something I have noticed in myself that is (somewhat) related is that when I look at the value-priced games or used games of a fairly old platform I tend to see lots of games I always intended on playing but never got around to. I don't know what it is but if I haven't bought a game within 3 (or so) months I (generally) don't pick it up until I see it as a budget game.

blackstar said:
Because people prefer the new ones: LBP , FarCry , Fallout , Fable , R2
how can ES and Bioshock sell?? the new releases are much more appealing

This ^^,

throw in other titles like Gears 2, Left4Dead, Guitar Hero World Tour, Rock Band 2, WKC, Last Remnant, ect., it is tough on the pocket book and takes up a significant amount of time. Early next year you get others like KZ2, RE5, Halo Wars, SFIV......sheesh, its no wonder they dont sell as well!