By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Eternal Sonata bombed, 10k 1st week(NA).

BengaBenga said:
I really start wondering where the PS2 JRPG fans are.

On the PS2, awaiting Persona 4, Ar Tonelico 2, and Eternal Poison.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
SpartanFX said:
this is good ,,developers will learn not make timed exclusive deals with MS cause at then end it will cost them alot.

This is why Microsoft would make a lousy president. They'll just pay our enemies to back out of the war.

Mirson said:
SpartanFX said:
this is good ,,developers will learn not make timed exclusive deals with MS cause at then end it will cost them alot.

This is why Microsoft would make a lousy president. They'll just pay our enemies to back out of the war.

Think of it this way. They are preventing the enemy from having any weapons of mass destruction. Sony is the enemy. Namco is a neutral country. They are paying Namco to make them new weapons.They are getting the new and advanced weapons before the enemy does and by the time the enemy get a hold of those weapons, the weapons are already old and outdated.

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence
BengaBenga said:
axumblade said:
BengaBenga said:
I really start wondering where the PS2 JRPG fans are.

Most of them play World of Warcraft now....or at least 11 million of them. ;)

Since when is that a JRPG?

I meant that I don't have a clue which console the PS2-JRPG lovers now have. It's clearly not the PS3, otherwise ES would have sold much better, despite being a year old port. But they also don't massively adopt 360, since those JRPGs sold well, but not on a PS2 level. I doubt they're on Wii, since they have yet to get their first JRPG.

They can't have just vanished, since JRPG gamers are pretty core.

DS?  Or hey are waiting for Final Fantasy or even better they are still playing all the great JRPG's on the PS2 no way that someone already have finished all those great ones :).  I mean Persona 4 is coming and a new devil summoner why upgrade already?

One year old ports dont do too well ...look at VF5 and Unreal 3 on the 360 and Bioshock and ES on the PS3.....

Around the Network

I don't think being an old port is any big deal. Argue if you want, but I won't bother to answer. There's still six million PS3 owners, and Eternal Sonata simply didn't appeal to them, especially with the lineup that the PS3 has this fall. Make a choice: Eternal Sonata or LBP/R2/Bioshock/VC/Motorstorm/etc.?

By the way, I chose the former. And IMO it's worth the sixty bucks I paid for it.

Currently playing: Marvel vs. Capcom 3, League of Legends

Before it bombed in Japan some people were claiming this one first real jrpg would be the proof the jrpg userbase was hungry and waiting for games with their ps3 by their side. Some even speculated first week sales would outsell LTD for the 360 version.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

leo-j said:
10k is very bad IMO

Even if it did release a year later, to me it seems that those RPG hungry gamers havent moved onto a ps3 yet..

They just have already x360, and bought game on it. Now, there is just no need to buy the game 2nd time.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

With Valkyria Chronicles in the picture, it's not too surprising that Sonata did this poorly, especially since it's an old port.

Now if Valkyria Chronicles performs similarly, it doesn't say much for the state of JRPGs on the PS3.

As for where the majority of JRPG gamers have gone, I'm assuming they're still buying games for the PS2.

Wow, and i thought PS3 owners did need JRPG's, this is quite bad.