By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - LBP Week 1 Sales (NA) -- 164K -- Good or Bad??

This is the saddest thread I have ever been part of so far. I am very disappointed in some of you. Sad.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network
Fernando said:

I have read some comments in this site about LBP selling more than 10 millions... and I'm not lying...

And almost every store was selling the game since last weekend. Yes, even Wal-Mart...

Just a few hours ago we had a thread about how LBP was aparently sold out in his Wal-Mart (don't remember who made the threat).

Sorry, but this game will not sell like "pancakes at Ihop".

Yeah, you're right, it won't. It will sell like Big Macs at McDonalds. How could we have been so foolish?

|Y|A|O|I|
¯¯¯¯¯¯My anti-drug™

makingmusic476 said:
starcraft said:
makingmusic476 said:
starcraft said:
The way these things generally work is if one big chain (in this case EB) breaks street date, the others do within hours as well.

Sorry, but it looks like LBP is anything but huge.

Certainly not a bomb, but PS3 fanboys need to move onto the next saviour (unless LBP does something MONSTROUS in EU).

Did you miss the whole recall fiasco?  Or are you being sarcastic?  :S

And streets dates are only broken regularly in Europe.  In NA, at best you'll find a lone Toys R Us or Wal-mart breaking a street date on accident.

I did not.  But at the end of the day, it is clear that a large number of stores DID receive copies early and DID sell them.  Especially on Saturday.

That not withstanding, unless the game can double this weeks numbers next week, it will have failed to meet expectations.

And if it cannot triple this weeks numbers next week, it most certainly will NOT be HUGE!!!

Most people (or at list I) have claimed that the game will have excellent legs, and not necessarily a large opening week.

Well I guess we will see next week.

But I think what this thread is truly about is this.  A whole lot of PS3 fans have come to the realization that LBP, whilst no doubt and incredible game and an impending commercial success, will not be the PS3 uber-system selling HUGE title they had hoped.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Jajajaja, i was right about the LBP opening week, fanboys!!! XD XD XD

Seriously, the thing was explained in the OP, which proves my point in another forum about people only checking the title and jumping to conclusions without at least READING a bit...

Well, what can we do...

BTW, i'm one of the people that thinks that LBP will be huge (and still say "will" because it's still a prediction, i need to see 1st month sales and legs to say if it's huge or not)

Torillian said:
starcraft said:
darthdevidem01 said:
@starcraft

lets not even talk about system sellers/saviours

I think everyone is being pretty nice about Fable 2 not being a system seller so far...

othewise usually we would've had a trollish thread saying "ZOMG Fable II not a system seller" by now....so don't ruin the peace :)

Er.... I dont think anyone claimed Fable 2 would be a system seller of any consequence.  Certainly I don't recall saying it would be myself.

In any case, contrary to expectations, Fable 2 actually WAS a system seller in Europe....

LBP is an entirely different case.  It has been hailed up and down as an epic system seller.  That one truly different game that no console has and which casuals will jump on.  That one brilliant community title that would be different to all the shooters and gimmicks this holiday season.  When the EU bundle was announced the internet shuddered under the weight of the collective PS3 fanboy orgasm.

And yet....no.

Yer absolutely right Starcraft.  I mean look at the EU sales, there was barely any boost with the LBP bundle, not to mention that there wasn't a single copy of LBP sold.  Obviously a flop in Others.

Sigh.....it's going to be a long week.

Er...WHERE did I say anything about EU sales?

I was simply using the bundle as an example of the way PS3 fans have hyped this game like no other (save perhaps Killzone 2).  I didn't say at any point that the game was out in Europe, as I am well aware that it is not.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network

Well... actually, is nice to read too much damage control about "is limited and blah blah"

Why? because next week, when the sales are not going to be like "pancakes at Ihop", I'll really going to enjoy the comments about why it didn't sold millions of copies.

(>'.')>

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=0&id=46415

Some comments:

• get me some syrup cause im buying those pancakes, LBP is gonna be bigger than anyone here can realize (and the replies saying "this")

•  stores over here are asking for huge orders, bigger than brawl...

• this game is without a doubt the best system seller this christmas...

• I see this game beating Super Mario Galaxy (and that means Brawl too...)

Can't wait for next week =p

Oooops, my bad...I guess LBP get's a reprieve from clocking in ONLY 164K in the week...THIS week is actually it's release week...maybe we will hear something soon, since Guitar Hero clocked in that MASSIVE 500K on day 1...there's still hope left for sackboy to rack up sales....against Fallout 3 and GH.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Euphoria14 said:
heruamon said:
What does "HUGE" mean again?

Seriously bro, read the OP.

Does "HUGE" mean over 1 million...500K...350K?  That's what I'm trying to figure out...and we see some initial data, although it's gimped by limited opening bow of the game.  Alot of locations started selling by Monday, so like GH, i  though we would have initial estimates for NA...but I've seen nothing. 

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

starcraft said:
The way these things generally work is if one big chain (in this case EB) breaks street date, the others do within hours as well.

Certainly not a bomb, but PS3 fanboys need to move onto the next saviour (unless LBP does something MONSTROUS in EU).

konnichiwa said:
starcraft said:

Rofl