By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - New XBox 360 Owner

I just picked up an XBox 360 Elite and I need some help.

Peripherals - What do I need?

Games - I'm not much of a first person shooter fan because I get nauseated... but I'm going to tough it out so I can play with some co-workers. Will the nausea ever leave?

I need some game suggestions (the stickied thread is a bit out of date... and too long). Exclusives only please since if they are mult-platform I've probably heard of it since I have a PS3.

Thanks.

Around the Network

Gears of War and Halo 3 will get you started in the shooter department. You will probably like Gears better because it is third person. If you like RPGs I would recommend Fable 2 and Mass Effect as well.

I'm a filmmaker, writer, and gamer. Add me on Xbox Live or message me!

XBL Gamertag: StraitupBeastin

Depends what games you are into if RPG's then pick up: Fable II, Mass Effect, Lost Odyssey (those are must). There are plenty of quality titles on the 360 from every genre.

If you like RPGs, definitely pick up Tales of Vesperia and Fable 2.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Don't forget XBL games :) If you have an internet connection, every xbl game has a demo, my favs are:

Geometry Wars
Braid
Pacman CE
Castlevania SotN
Bionic Commando
Undertow
Small Arms

Some of those are Multi-Plat I believe.

Currently Playing:  Saints Row 2 | Battlefield 2 | Company of Heroes

Recently Beaten: Gears of War | Super Mario Galaxy | Darwinia | MGS4 | Sam and Max Ep. 4, Portal | Mirror's Edge | Uncharted | Mass Effect

Looking Forward to: Alan Wake | Splinter Cell : Conviction | The Last Guardian | Batman: Arkham Asylum | SMG2 | Mass Effect 2 |

Around the Network

A exclusive that constantly gets overlooked is Crackdown, fun free-roaming fun. I enjoy it heavily, it even has some fun Co-op features too!

Why must JRPG female leads suck so bad?

I would suggest you purchase - Dead Space, Fallout 3 on your new Xbox 360. The 360 version of Dead Space has better FPS from prelim reports and was lead on the 360 anyway. Fallout 3 will also benefit from the full install option on the Xbox 360 and has the DLC (Good if you liked Oblivion) and might be marginally better (Who the hell cares? But it may sway you a little)

Fable 2 is another must buy, and you should consider Mass Effect, Gears of War 1, Definately Halo 3 for the Coop (4 player). Since you have MGS you might want to give Splinter cell a go and if you like JRPGs the best two are Lost Odyssey and Tales of Vesperia.

And just the usual controllers - x however many you want. FYI if you get more than 3 people coming over to play Halo you can buy another unit and system link them to get more players.

Oh yeah, I definately think you should consider condemned 1+2. They are cheap, but very fun!

For Xbox Live - Definately get Braid, Castlecrashers, Geometry Wars II, Duke 3d

Also if you wanna play online go to www.newegg.com and buy yourself a 12month card for $40 with free delivery.

Tease.

"I'm not much of a first person shooter fan because I get nauseated... but I'm going to tough it out so I can play with some co-workers. Will the nausea ever leave?"

Does it happen more with FPS that are dark? When I was younger I could not play FPS's that were very dark, otherwise I would get big bouts of nausea. 3rd person was not a problem though. I don't have that problem most of the time anymore. It comes up once and a while if I am playing while really tired, but thats about it (29 now)

As for games

Fable 2, Mass Effect, Halo 3(FPS, but not too dark), Gears of War 1, Crackdown, and Lost Odyssey should be a good start

Now would be a good time to pick up those exclusive games that came out before or around the time of the ps3's release, Games like Condemned: Criminal origins, Crackdown, Saints row 1, Dead rising ect, They will all be cheap as chips now. If ya gonna start somwhere why not start at the beginning............ I'll be doing the same once i finally get a ps3 (Uncharted, Motorstorm, Warhawk ect)

If you get xbox live the 360 versions Of Virtua tennis 3 and Virtua fighter 5 have online multiplayer and i know that theres still quite a lot of people who play Virtua tennis 3 online, I wait no longer than a minute to find an opponent. That alone adds like 10% extra review score to 360 Virtua tennis 3 in my eyes

Fable 2, Gears, Lost Odyssey, Halo 3, Tales of Vesperia and Ninja Gaiden 2 would be the games I would unequivocally recommend. These should be in every 360 owners library IMO. Obviously, peoples taste differs from mine. But mine is right. HAHA.

Peripheral wise, I'd recommend only a quick charge station (Nyko and MS make one). If you want to spend a little money, Turtle Beach makes some awesome headphones for the 360. IF you want to go wireless you'll need an network adapter...I prefer hard-wiring to my network for optimal performance, but that isn't always an option.