By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - McCain really impopular in Europe!

Obama is awesome

Around the Network

Maybe europe wants america to strive?

Auron said:
In Europe we like people who move things forward not those who want to either keep us where we are or even take a step back. So i think this is valid, in Europe guns aren't a big deal, abortion is legal, religion is a non issue, government has a lot of control compared to the US so all these things McCain and republicans stand for is disliked by Europeans.

This! But it's funny since Europe has the big culture and traditions while the USA is much younger with little history.

Than again, I'm not from the united states so I don't see the complete picture. But lets just say Mccain and palin (the religious republican wing) would be pointed and laughed at here.

Not trying to offend the repubs on this site, but that's pretty much how it is.

MontanaHatchet said:
Kasz216 said:
If you did the same in Africa.... i'd imaginge you'd find most people supporting McCain.

It's all a matter of what president would best serve the interests of their countries... not the US.

I wonder who the head of the UN supports.

On the one hand, he hates republican US military polcies.

However on the other hand, the number one issue the UN has right now is the Global Food Crisis and Obama is set to make the Global Food Crisis catastrophically worse.

You keep on saying this. Your theory has attracted my curiosity. Please explain.

The UN has stated that Biofuels are one of the leading causes of the global food crisis.  Specifially the biofuel programs of the US and EU.  It has called on a 5 year moratorium at least... to help get the food crisis under control.

They even called biofuels a "Criminal path" and a "Crime against humanity."

The US biofuel program is 2-3 times larger then the EU's at least.

Barak Obama plans to expand this program by 3 times it's current size.

vs McCain who wants to shut down the subsidiaries... which would go in line with the UN's plan to stop the global food crisis.

Tens of millions will be pushed to starvation because of it.

Kasz216 said:
If you did the same in Africa.... i'd imaginge you'd find most people supporting McCain.

It's all a matter of what president would best serve the interests of their countries... not the US.

Africa is pretty large and diverse but all africans I know believe that Obama would be a better president.

Ok, the realist perspective of IR are still strong in the minds of people, but I don't think that the 'interests of Sweden' is what makes 99% pro Obama.

Beware, I live!
I am Sinistar!
Beware, coward!
I hunger!
Roaaaaaaaaaar!

At least 62 million Wii sold by the end of 09 or my mario avatar will get sad
Around the Network

Articles to back up reading

http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/apr2008/2008-04-28-03.asp

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/15/business/worldbusiness/15food.html?pagewanted=print

The biofuel increase can be found on Obamas website in his energy platform document.

The arguement is that the current US and EU polcies contribute between 33% and 10% of the current problem.

That would be rather 33 Million are starving because of it or 10 million. Further increases in price are expected if the mandates are kept.

More people will starve even if ethanol subsidies are just kept in place... if they get explosivly increased like Obama wants...

There will be a lot of hunger pains felt around the world. I keep hoping someone would challenge him on it. Yet nobody does, and nobody cares because people here are inconvienced by the economic troubles.

Copycon said:

Kasz216 said:

Africa is pretty large and diverse but all africans I know believe that Obama would be a better president.

Ok, the realist perspective of IR are still strong in the minds of people, but I don't think that the 'interests of Sweden' is what makes 99% pro Obama.

Do these africans still live in Africa?  I mean Bush has been see as doing more for Africa then every other President combined.  Or something silly like that.   It's the one continent he did a good job with.  (Though he could of did better.  Probably didn't support condom issues over there.  Still he was widely praised for his support.)

Kasz216 said:
Copycon said:

Kasz216 said:

Do these africans still live in Africa?  I mean Bush has been see as doing more for Africa then every other President combined.  Or something silly like that.   It's the one continent he did a good job with.  (Though he could of did better.  Probably didn't support condom issues over there.  Still he was widely praised for his support.)

Half of them still live in africa, though some of them recieved their education in the US. I don't fully doubt you about Bush, and generally, at least from the people that I know, a lot of africans still distrust the former colonial powers. However, the 'washington consensus' (IMF and IBRD) are still seen as institutions working under the control of the US. On that point I don't know who would be considered to be the best president, to be honest, I have to little knowledge about their policies. Personally, McCain seems to be a decent guy that could do a somewhat decent job both internally and externally, but Palin as vice scare the shit out of me.

The bio-fule 'issue' is really interesting, and I think there is need for a whole new debate about it. I'm not too much into that area so I can't comment too much on it though.

Beware, I live!
I am Sinistar!
Beware, coward!
I hunger!
Roaaaaaaaaaar!

At least 62 million Wii sold by the end of 09 or my mario avatar will get sad
Kasz216 said:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/15/business/worldbusiness/15food.html?pagewanted=print

The biofuel increase can be found on Obamas website in his energy platform document.

The arguement is that the current US and EU polcies contribute between 33% and 10% of the current problem.

That would be rather 33 Million are starving because of it or 10 million. Further increases in price are expected if the mandates are kept.

More people will starve even if ethanol subsidies are just kept in place... if they get explosivly increased like Obama wants...

There will be a lot of hunger pains felt around the world. I keep hoping someone would challenge him on it. Yet nobody does, and nobody cares because people here are inconvienced by the economic troubles.

What Obama is trying to do with Biofuels could be harmfull! However, it also couldn't! Atleast, the way the US is going right now ain't good! And drilling for more oil like Palin and McCain suggest ain't a good option either!

Keep developing Biofuels is an option that has to be looked at! I actually wrote an essay on how bad biofuels COULD be when used wrong a few years back. Especially for rainforests and people that already life beneath the basic living standards in poor countries. However! There are a few easy solutions to that;

Algees (I don't know if I write it correct in English like this) are a great option if you keep them in a sack like this:

You don't have to cut down forests and don't use up really viable croplands in order to 'sow' energy! Above this, it's energy output is WAY bigger then it's input! National Geographic research even estimates an input:output-ratio of 1:250, this is because it

1: Doesn't take a lot of room and you don't need to cut forests.

2: Don't cut forests and use fotosynthetics (Again, don't know if it's called like this in English) in order to produce more Oxygen.

3: Uses solar energy to grow and you only need to tap the energy, producing an energy input:output ratio averaging at 1:250...

If Obama's plan is to Increase fundings by 3 times and using these kinds of ways to improve biofuels I agree with him! If the other way, then not! But Biofuels can be done like this and it has no negative side-effects! It's good for oxygen levels. It saves forests. It saves people's lives. It's a solution to petrol and gas.

THE NETHERLANDS

Kasz216 said:

Well, you know biofuel is more then just ethanol, right? It's made from palmoil for instance (easily replaced by oliveoil) and
manure.

Secondly, starvation is mostly combated with grains and rice. Neither ricefields nor grainfields are overtly used to produce the components for biofuels and it's doubtfull this will change as the price for both is still higher on the market then governments can subsidize against.

And as always, It'll turn out. Remember, it's not just the US who aids in combating Famine.

The Doctor will see you now  Promoting Lesbianism -->