By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Can someone (good in economics) explain some things to me?

Yeah sony will cut the price some time next year when they can lower the manufacturing cost

PS3, WII and 360 all great systems depends on what type of console player you are.

Currently playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Fallout 3, Halo ODST and Dragon Age Origins is next game

Xbox live:mywiferocks

Around the Network

thanks for all the responses :) still waiting for an answer to #2 though

misterd said:
bugrimmar said:
so nobody knows the answer to 2 and 3?

The 360 costs have been dropping, and reportedly MS was making a profit off each sale, at least before the latest price cut. So I would guess a Core/Arcade system is running MS just under or just over $200 right now.

With the PS3, we know it originally cost over $800 to make, but those costs have been cut considerably, which is why the PS3 can now be sold for $400. My guess is that the PS3 is likely down to $450-500, and could be closer to $400 next year, which would allow Sony to cut price.

PS3 never cost $800 to manufacture. The initial run of 5mio PS3s liekely had production costs of around $840 as set by Sony. Notice that when we talk about manufacturing costs and production costs in the industry, these are two different things (though production costs obviously include manufacturing costs).

Both XBox360 and PS3 are standard, mass produced industrial gadgets as far as manufacturing processes are concerned so it is relatively easy to guesstimate manufacturing costs (on the 10% level) if one knows what is inside and what manufacturing processes are needed to build these gadgets. If we assume that both gadgets are manufactured within standard industry conditions and procedures, manufacturing costs for an Xbox360 are about $250, and around $350 for a PS3 currently. Future manufacturing costs are very difficult to estimate at these times but will ikely remain the same, as (relatively small) gains in reduced key components (CPU, GPU) will be offset by higher raw material and general manufacturing costs.

FishyJoe said:
The US dollar last year was 117 yen.

That means a $399 PS3 would yield Sony 46683 yen.

Today the US dollar gets 94 yen.

That means a $399 PS3 will yield 37506 yen.

So today, a PS3 gets 9177 yen or $97 less than a year ago simply from currency rate changes. Bottom line is they receive 25% less yen than a year ago selling at the same price in US dollars.

No. Is now officiallly crystal Clear. Good Luck with 2 and 3.

4 ≈ One

bugrimmar said:

2.) when i buy a game, where does the $59.99 actually go? i.e., how much goes to the developer, the publisher, the retailer, and who else gets a piece.

When you purchase a game all the money goes to the retailer.   Part of it covers their cost of them purchasing the game.  part of it covers expenses of running a store.  and part of it(hopefully) is profit.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Around the Network
MrBubbles said:
bugrimmar said:

2.) when i buy a game, where does the $59.99 actually go? i.e., how much goes to the developer, the publisher, the retailer, and who else gets a piece.

When you purchase a game all the money goes to the retailer.   Part of it covers their cost of them purchasing the game.  part of it covers expenses of running a store.  and part of it(hopefully) is profit.

all of it goes to the retailer? even if i don't know the answer i doubt this is the case. you mean to say the developer and the publisher get nothing? that's impossible. so if sony is selling the game, they get nothing and the retailer gets all 59.99? that's impossible.

bugrimmar said:
MrBubbles said:
bugrimmar said:

all of it goes to the retailer? even if i don't know the answer i doubt this is the case. you mean to say the developer and the publisher get nothing? that's impossible. so if sony is selling the game, they get nothing and the retailer gets all 59.99? that's impossible.

they get the money that the retailer paid for it.  when you purchase a game, they have already been paid, so money goes to the retailer.  they sell to the retailer, and the retailer sells to you. 

unless you are purchasing from a sony owned store or their online store anyways

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

bugrimmar said:
MrBubbles said:
bugrimmar said:

No, he means all of your money goes to the retailer.

but the retailer already purchased the game from a supplier who purchased it from the publisher (not sure whether game publishers use seperate suppliers or can supply themselves)

Developer makes game (usually using publishers money)
Publisher sells game to the stores (perhaps through some other company first)
Store sells game to you.

Each of the steps in the "ladder" will take some money out for their trouble and for profit, I believe with games the retailer will generally take almost half the cost you pay, so for a $60 game the store (or company that owns it) will take $25. I have no idea about the rest, but I remember someone mentioning the publisher will get about 20%.

bugrimmar said:
MrBubbles said:
bugrimmar said:

If a game is sold on the PS3 sony gets $10.00 same for MS

PS3, WII and 360 all great systems depends on what type of console player you are.

Currently playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Fallout 3, Halo ODST and Dragon Age Origins is next game

Xbox live:mywiferocks

eww economics I hate that subject at school.