By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The state of Microsoft's 1st/2nd party

Legend11 said:

Next about the rumors of either Rare or Lionhead closing. Microsoft executives have stated that neither in in danger of being closed. There has been absolutely no credible information backing any claims to the contrary so unless the people making such claims want to step up and show us proof it's basically FUD nonsense.

I so wish dox or gtfo was enforced here =D

Anyways spreading rumors that Lionhead is closing is silly considering every game they've made has been a box office success. Fable 2 will break half million worldwide first week.

edit: the reason MS didn't buy Bizarre or Bioware... well there are many reasons but the main one is that buying studios is incredibly risky. The IP's hold value up to a certain extent but it's the talent that's worth the money. How much did EA pay for the slew of studios they bought in the 90's? All those IP's aren't worth a dime anymore and the talent is gone.

They are doing the smart thing: building their own studios (we know that they have at least one full fledged studio building right now) and funding for publishing rights the best they can find around (gears, mass effect, alan wake...).

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Around the Network
EaglesEye379 said:
Rare is working on two projects which are not VP related. Lionhead in two others, with Project Dmitri to be unvealed in 2009. Bungie is working on 3 new IPs and we know if the games have big multiplayer elements like Halo, they would prefer to utilise the infrastructure they have built with Xbox Live. MGS is working on 2-3 other Halo games not announced yet and who knows what else they are cooking internally. We know Gears 3 will come. Turn 10 are working on 2 projects. MS has built relationships with all the top publishers and developers so nothing is stopping new exclusive deals in the pipeline. And nothing is stopping other smaller indie projects or MS acquiring new talented studios.

In the latest round of hiring top class talent, I dont see how people are worried about the manpower or talent. If anything, MGS is growing rapidly and has come a long way since Xbox days.

Imho, the only people worried about the future of MS 1st/2nd party are the Sony fans here. The 360 owners here know there is hardly anything to worry about.

To be honest, how much are these rare games exciting you? Neither of the games they are making for this fall have caught my eye much. As for Lionhead, as said elsewhere, they do take ages to make games, Sony of course have that problem in some regards, but I do like them (well give me a week to be sure).

How big is bungie? Those three games are going to take them some time, so I would probably expect 2 more on Xbox, 1 on the nextbox.

Are turn 10 big again? As MM said, they are probably making Forza and PGR, which is going to take them a lot of time

Also, I don't really like Halo, and they have to diversify more than just having loads of Halo games. They might do quite well, but I doubt that is really going to expand their market.

The issue is that they seem to be focusing on just getting 3rd party exclusives, and so obviously they could turn their policy round and start working with small devs and starting new studios, but Sony has already started doing that, and has invested in its 1st party, and with Insomniac releasing very good games every year, ND probably every 2, and several other major games coming from their first parties, with established and new franchises, Sony's 1st party is much stronger

What is with all the mention of 3rd Party games, isn't this all about 1st/2nd Paryt stuff?

The fact some Xbox Defenders are bringing up these 3rd Party games only proves Music Man's point.

As far as the notion that Microsoft seems more fixated on getting buying 3rd Party Exclusivity/Timed/Multplatform then making their own games...I'm somewhat inclined to agree.

Microsoft 1st/2nd Party games are good, but they fall short in terms of amount and overall quality to that of Sony or Nintendo. (of course the latter statement of mine is opinion, but I feel I'm entitled to make it since I own all 3 consoles)

the state= sad.

Only first party devs are rare and.... ensem- no.... what then? Lionhead? They totally rely on 2nd party titles I think.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Around the Network

Microsoft is living exclusively off of third-party titles as of late. They have a few first-party franchises, but the majority of exclusivity for MS games is now third-party.

Unlike Sony and Nintendo which are well prepared for the eventual future that third-party exclusives will go the way of the dodo, Microsoft isn't. Hell, Nintendo practically carried itself first-party wise during the Gamecube era, and it looks like Sony is trying to do that this era, given exclusives for the triple are dropping like flies, Sony has made an effort to buy new Studios (evolution), and publish more games (LBP).

The state of the 1st, 2nd party of MS is pretty sad. And the glory days of rare are long gone. PDZ sucked, Viva Pinata and it's sequel, are okay at best, and Banjo: Nuts + Bolts is looking pretty "meh" at the moment. Ensemble is gone, Turn 10 is juggling two games, and Bungie is only cranking out Halo after Halo. how long until that franchise is like Madden?

It's pretty sad, I hope MS learns how to internally develop games.

DMeisterJ said:
Microsoft is living exclusively off of third-party titles as of late. They have a few first-party franchises, but the majority of exclusivity for MS games is now third-party.

Unlike Sony and Nintendo which are well prepared for the eventual future that third-party exclusives will go the way of the dodo, Microsoft isn't. Hell, Nintendo practically carried itself first-party wise during the Gamecube era, and it looks like Sony is trying to do that this era, given exclusives for the triple are dropping like flies, Sony has made an effort to buy new Studios (evolution), and publish more games (LBP).

The state of the 1st, 2nd party of MS is pretty sad. And the glory days of rare are long gone. PDZ sucked, Viva Pinata and it's sequel, are okay at best, and Banjo: Nuts + Bolts is looking pretty "meh" at the moment. Ensemble is gone, Turn 10 is juggling two games, and Bungie is only cranking out Halo after Halo. how long until that franchise is like Madden?

All this first party/third party talk is just a fanboyish argument without any backing besides the interest on hitting a perceived weak spot on MS's strategy.

What's the difference between owning studios that might produce lackluster games that eventually get cancelled losing money in the process (getaway? eight days?) or listening to pitches by developers and cherrypicking the best titles to fund, publish and control the IP. The comparison is indeed slanted (don't bother to point that out) but it highlights that both approaches have strengths and weakness.

Of course, Sony goes for the first party route so the SDF boombox is here echoing the meme until it sticks.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

DMeisterJ said:

LOL.  I think M$ would love for the Halo franchise to be like Madden.  Better than turning into a franchise that doesn't sell boatloads.

As far as M$ games, I am about to play some more Fable 2.  That game is addictive.  Just got through with the Spire and have been playing for about 20 hours.  Not sure how close to the end of the game that is.  But I own pretty much all of Bowerstone, so that took up a good portion of my time.

The game's certainly of the life-sucking variety.

I've just noticed blue veins have started popping on my face... maybe I should restrain myself from my magic addiction.

Bitmap Frogs said:
The game's certainly of the life-sucking variety.

I've just noticed blue veins have started popping on my face... maybe I should restrain myself from my magic addiction.

LOL.  I love that.  I started going shirtless because it looks so badass having blue veins all over me.  I noticed I was a little fat so I had to eat some celery. LOL.