By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Guitar Hero vs Rock Band

I remember reading a thread a little while back where rocketpig and sqrl duked it out between RB and GH.

Actually, I have the same question. I have a Wii, I really want the downloadable stuff on RB, and I don't care about the user created stuff. Is GH still better for the Wii? Why?

Currently playing: Civ 6

Around the Network

I am still waiting for the first review of GH:WT. It came out today, where are the reviews!

I would pick Rock Band 2. I don't have extensive knowledge about either game, but it seems like the Guitar Hero series lost its soul after Guitar Hero 2.

^What he said.

cdude1034 said:
I remember reading a thread a little while back where rocketpig and sqrl duked it out between RB and GH.

Actually, I have the same question. I have a Wii, I really want the downloadable stuff on RB, and I don't care about the user created stuff. Is GH still better for the Wii? Why?

I'd say Guitar Hero currently just because it is out first. It is likely when Rock Band 2 hits the Wii that you will be able to use the peripherals in both and thus just have both. Konami is doing an excellent job of making everyone play nice and work with each others hardware for the benefit of the genre as a whole.

@Rocket
Thats a good point only on the systems that didn't get a half-assed port of Rock Band 1, To get that same effect on the Wii you would need to buy 3 games, and swap discs just to access some of the "DLC" that was released as a track pack for the Wii and consequently will not be up for individual purchase.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Around the Network

I've had the chance to use both the RB2 and GH:WT drums and it's no contest. If the drums are at all important to you, get GH:WT because they are better in just about every way.

I'm going to spring for the GH drums even though I prefer RB the game. Those drums look awesome.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

The thing is that the tracks in GH:WT will be correctly charted for that setup. I'm not saying it won't be an improvement using these drums for RB2, just that the GH:WT will utilize the pads better. In GH:WT you will get mostly 1:1 mapping, that is the green and blue will always be toms, red snare, yellow hihat and orange crash/ride.

FishyJoe said:
I've had the chance to use both the RB2 and GH:WT drums and it's no contest. If the drums are at all important to you, get GH:WT because they are better in just about every way.

I have to agree.  I will warn folks like rocketpig though, if you're used to RB drums it will take some time to get used to the raised pads and the positioning in general. The time varies by person, but you should be mostly acclimated in 20 to 30 minutes, but you will continue to have mixups and silly mistakes for..well I'm not sure how long, but I'm guessing for at least a week or two before I'll be fully accustomed.With that said, not owning RB and only playing occasionally I was only playing on hard drums so mileage may vary for other skill levels.

The kick pedal however will take no time at all to fall in love with (or at least everyone I play with prefers it in a massive way).  The WT kick pedal is a lot more comfortable and less tiring to use and gives you a slight tactile and audio feedback when you've hit the pad.  In general I'm very pleased with the WT drums.

@fishyjoe,

What difficulty are you playing "On the Road Again" that you're having troubles? I'm working my way up through hard and I had a bit of trouble with timing there myself but I'm able to get long streaks of correct timing and then screw up during transitions and have to "find" the timing again.

To Each Man, Responsibility
FishyJoe said:
The thing is that the tracks in GH:WT will be correctly charted for that setup. I'm not saying it won't be an improvement using these drums for RB2, just that the GH:WT will utilize the pads better. In GH:WT you will get mostly 1:1 mapping, that is the green and blue will always be toms, red snare, yellow hihat and orange crash/ride.

You're overestimating my musical talents. I fully subscribe to the "wail on pads and hope for the best" strategy. I love the drums, but I'm far from being an accomplished drummer.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/