By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - BioShock 2 multiplatform confirmed

axumblade said:
makingmusic476 said:
axumblade said:
Imperial said:

Well one of the XBOX 360's key franchises moves to multiplatform , the problem with depending on third part developers for exclusivity is that the future of the franchise on any platform is purely dependant on sales potential.

Why should Gears Of War 3, Mass Effect 3 , Star Ocean 4 etc remain exclusive to the XBOX 360 without a money hat ,all games have established fan bases PS3+360 > 360 . Sony can rely more on first party development than MS ( who recently broke up alot of theirs) GT , God Of War , Uncharted , Resistance , Little Big Planet , Ico , Ratchet and Clank , White Knight Chronicles , Getaway & Eightdays(development currently halted though) and so many more existing and new franchises will never be seen on another platform as long as Sony is still making hardware to play it on.

Honestly, Media Molecule were originally going to do a project for the 360 over the PS3 so I think they can work for whoever they want to work for.

Also, Microsoft has the rights to some titles if I remember correctly. I don't think anyone will ever see Forza, Gears of War, Halo, Fable or any Ninja Gaiden installment after II for anything other than 360 (or next console), except for the PC.

I'm a bigger fan of Sony than Microsoft and I do feel Sony has a lot more exclusives coming out. But I also feel that Microsoft does have a decent list as well. That's the joy out of competition like this, the only real winners are the fans.

Media Molecule may have beenplanning to work on the 360...when they were still part of Lionhead.  The only thing we really know about the history of Media Molecule and LittleBigPLanet is this.

Also, Gears is solely owned by Epic.  Microsoft just inked a deal with them to publish the first two games in the franchise.

And Ninja Gaiden was only ever Xbox exclusive becuase of Itigaki.  Of course, Tecmo probably wanted NGII multiplat to help recover dev costs, which is why MS had to step in as publisher.  This issue of exclusivity is probably why the relationship between Itigaki and Tecmo went south, and Itigaki ended up leaving the company.

MS does own Fable, Forza, Halo, etc.  The main issue, however, is that they're slowly closing down their internal studios (FASA, Ensemble) or giving up their second parties (BioWare, Bizarre).  They still have quite a few IPs, but few people to work on them.  For example, it was initially rumored that Turn 10 would announce Forza 3 at this past E3.  That never happened.  Now the rumors state that Turn 10 is working on PGR5, as obviously Bizarre is no longer working on the franchise.  Whichever is true at the moment, Turn 10 is now being forced to juggle two different franchises, as Microsoft has nobody else to work on them.  What will happen to the Age series?  The Mech series (now that FASA Interactive is gone)?

So basically, Microsoft has a lot of titles that are awesome but they aren't really acting on any of those titles. I'm guessing that instead of spending money on things like game production, they're spending them on exclusive dlc and timed exclusivity?

Basically.  Every five seconds, you here about another game like Fallout 3 that has "exclusive DLC only on 360!"

Of course, their catalog of IP still pales in comparison to Sony and Nintendo, even if they did have the developers to work on them.

Around the Network

This was expected. Bioshock 2 is previewed on PS3's Bioshock

axumblade said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Imperial said:

Well one of the XBOX 360's key franchises moves to multiplatform , the problem with depending on third part developers for exclusivity is that the future of the franchise on any platform is purely dependant on sales potential.

A. This wasn't an Xbox 360 franchise, lol. It was released on PC and Xbox 360. Is Left 4 Dead an Xbox 360 franchise, because if it is:

A1. PS3 fans are in trouble

A2. The will never admit it

B. Depending on 3rd party developers for exclusivity has always been something that wins generations. It's especially helpful when you pay then for that exclusivity.

It sounds like you are defending Sony's "coasting/1st party" strategy, which in reality is a "drop all support for 3rd parties because they need us, not the other way around" strategy, and so far it has managed to move them from 1st to last, and make them lose every big 3rd party franchise that was once associated with the Playstation.

You don't need it to be exclusive forever. Bioshock 360 lost no sales because of the PS3 version. You just need to pay developers to make games exclusive for a little while, like TLR, or Star Ocean. Developers used to do that for free. They won't any longer. Microsoft ruined that for Sony...by paying for it.

Honestly, I think it was more due to the fact that many companies were moving towards multi-platforms that Sony created the "1st party strategy" to keep their pride. It's starting to work a little better for them because they're focusing on quality 1st party games instead of....well...Haze. 

And what's so wrong with the first party strategy? It works for Nintendo really well. It works for Microsoft really well. Whats wrong with Sony doing it?

Really, Sony has been heavily focused on first party development since they first entered the video game market.  It's just that up until this gen, their exclusives (outside of GT) have been lost in a sea of third party titles.

Polyphony Digital, Naughty Dog, and Insomniac, arguably their three best developers (one of which is technically independent) have all been with Sony since the ps1 days. Though personally I'd put team ICO above all of these (with Naughty Dog close behind).  Team ICO was formed in 1998, actually.  It took them four years to create ICO, which finally came out in 2001.

Don't forget Level-5, they're independent with a great relationship with SCE like Insomniac, in fact, their first 2 titles were for SCE (Dark Cloud 1 & 2)... of course, they have independent games, but that's another thing... I'm really looking forward to White Knight Chronicles...

Sony is really expanding their 1st party with quality titles, smart move, they're the best ones to work on a console's potential (Everyone that got dissapointed with the Emotion Engine had their jaws dropped when Shadow of the Colossus came out, i don't want to imagine what Team ICO can do with "teh Cell", especially when Naughty Dog, Polyphony, MM and Insomniac already showed us part of its potential)... And they don't go anywhere unless the company wants them to...

Another day, another fanboy proven wrong.

It's not like we didn't know BS2 would be multi-plat, it's nice for confirmation though.

Around the Network
makingmusic476 said:
thekitchensink said:
Well, since there was never any doubt that it'd be on 360, and the trailer was on the PS3 disc, I have to say 'duh'.

Well, there are always doubting fanboys to whom this may come as a bit of a surprise. 

Er, despite your admittedely witty attempt to spin what I said, this post fails.

I was doubting the likelihood the game will come to the PS3 in 2009, not the likelihood that it will come at all.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

starcraft said:
makingmusic476 said:
thekitchensink said:
Well, since there was never any doubt that it'd be on 360, and the trailer was on the PS3 disc, I have to say 'duh'.

Well, there are always doubting fanboys to whom this may come as a bit of a surprise. 

Er, despite your admittedely witty attempt to spin what I said, this post fails.

I was doubting the likelihood the game will come to the PS3 in 2009, not the likelihood that it will come at all.

So what was the Star Ocean bit in your post for?  It seems to be insinuating that even though a trailer can be on a game system, it doesn't mean that the trailer that the game is from will be on that system. 

Again, it seems pretty clear to me, but I'd like to hear from you what that Star Ocean bit meant.

DMeisterJ said:
starcraft said:
makingmusic476 said:
thekitchensink said:

So what was the Star Ocean bit in your post for?  It seems to be insinuating that even though a trailer can be on a game system, it doesn't mean that the trailer that the game is from will be on that system. 

Again, it seems pretty clear to me, but I'd like to hear from you what that Star Ocean bit meant.

I was merely pointing out that trailers, and their means of deliverance, don't necessarily directly indicate when certain content will become available on certain platforms.

It appears you are reading too much into that particular comment.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

It was obviously going to happen :P

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

As long as this game comes out for the 360 I'm happy.