By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 as a media center

In the past you may have seem me complaining about PS3's limitted codec support and media center abilities.

I retract them all, not sure when these updates came in, but now my PS3 plays all video files i can throw at it.  Served up over media tomb (dlna).  Not only that but it is freaking SWEET.  My favorite feature so far is while video is playing hit "SQUARE" and be able to see clips (every 1 min or so?) and then jump to that position!!

And the playback at 1.5x with audio is a nice little feature too!

Thank you Sony for continueing improvements to the PS3!

PSN ID: TheSimkin

GamerTag: TheSimkin

WII friend Code: 0002 7972 4522 2681

Around the Network

I was so happy to see the new video features in 2.5. Now for long movies, trying to navigate to the parts you want is so much easier.

It just keeps getting better.

The auto shutdown is awesome! Just kind of weird how the timed shutdown is in the settings menu and the download complete shutdown is in the users menu. I would like them both in the same menu. The auto controller shutoff is also very nice :)

I have 40GB, I might need to upgrade my HDD soon. I have 4-5 GB of music, pictures and videos on my HDD. The rest is demo games, movie trailers and two game installs. I think I have about 4GB left right now.

The PS3 as a movie player (DVD & Bluray) is great too. Its the only thing we use now for movie rentals. We have been getting a lot of blu-rays through Blockbuster online. Its pretty sweet.

Not only easier... but it looks freaking awesome.

And it seems REALLY FAST for what it is doing.

PSN ID: TheSimkin

GamerTag: TheSimkin

WII friend Code: 0002 7972 4522 2681

DaSimkin said:
Not only easier... but it looks freaking awesome.

And it seems REALLY FAST for what it is doing.

When I run through a long list of pictures or music it can't keep up. It is fast though, I just wish it could keep up. Most PC's wouldn't be able to keep up with the speed considering is generating the name and thumbnail for each item.

Around the Network

really simple thing - i really like the way you can choose the thumbnail for videos and get little 5 second clip in the XMB! simple but effective!

Atari 2600, Sega Mega Drive, Game Boy, Game Boy Advanced, N64, Playstation, Xbox, PSP Phat, PSP 3000, and PS3 60gb (upgraded to 320gb), NDS

Linux Ubuntu user

Favourite game: Killzone 3

Good idea to pick up:

mkv2vob

and

dbpoweramp

for the few video/audio codecs that the PS3 won't play as well. Great for HD TV Shows you find because most are encoded in mkv

Completed X360:
High Def Movie Collection
jasonnc80 said:
Good idea to pick up:

mkv2vob

and

dbpoweramp

for the few video/audio codecs that the PS3 won't play as well. Great for HD TV Shows you find because most are encoded in mkv

tsmuxer will make mkvs playable on the PS3 without re-encoding them, very quick and easy. AVCHD playback is a great feature of the PS3 too.

mkv2vob doesn't transcode either. Just remuxes into vob which the PS3 will play. I haven't used tsmuxer but I know mkv2vob is a very small program (about 20mb) and quick too.

Completed X360:
High Def Movie Collection

ah i see, cool, i'll give that a look in too. tsmuxer can be used to create isos too, which will boot off dvd-r, although i havnt tried it myself.