By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mid-Generation: loss of impressiveness

SlorgNet said:
Well, there are two issues here. First, watching media clips never does justice to next-gen visuals. Example: all those great MGS4 trailers, which weren't even close to the actual game.

Second, we're only two years into the next-gen cycle (yes, MS released in 05, but this was a year too soon, before the hardware was ready, a mistake for which they paid dearly), so the best is yet to come.

First bolded part is not really true for me. I have yet to see a game that actually looks better in motion than on screenshots, at least this generation. I have also not seen a single game that looks better in the actual game than on videos. I think it's because when I play a game I'm always out spotting the things that looks really bad.

Second bolded part. It's true that the games will be more impressive further in this generation. However, in my mind, earlier this generation I compared games to old Playstation 2 games and such. Now I compare them to top of the line graphics games on playstation 3 and Xbox 360. The jump in graphics then is not enough to warrant the "oh my god that looks good!" feeling that we all have felt from time to time.

Your decision to spell out that the first year of the 360 should not be counted has been noted, but will not be further commented upon.

This is invisible text!