By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - PREDICTIONS: How big do you think the DSi will be?

1. If the markets were so saturated... which they are and the term I coined over a year ago btw which yall all use... would mean the exact opposite haha. As long as DS is still the dominant brand in Japan(which judging by software sales means it is) then this addition will be huge. As many will go out to buy a second one to upgrade and it gives it a whole new sleuth of advertising to get even mroe new buyers.

2. And of course people will see it that way. Especially the Japanese gamer who are prone to buying new revisions of consoles.

So how successful will it be. Well it may be hard to tell by our weekly sales considering in one week it'll get 2 days of tracking and then a full 7 week so it'll be split up but in those 9 days about 200k-250k is my guesses.

Around the Network

What are you talking about? Market saturation is an old concept, preceding videogames by many years. Also the word is "slew". "Sleuth" means "detective".

Everything else you say is a good point though.

Shams: Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. The DS Lite faced the same issue, and only had 550,000 units available at launch.

SW-5120-1900-6153

1.5M for first week.

350k sold first week and sold out for months

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

It was locked? I don't think so I just posted there.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

Around the Network
MANUELF said:
Bigger than the PSP-3000

Ya think?

PSP-3000, extremely incremental upgrade, added almost nothing.

DSi.  Adds multi-media functionality, SD support, downloadable DS games, etc. 

Obviously one would be bigger than the other. 

/sigh

I predict 150,000. If it came in a brand new colour rather than just black or white I would say 250,000.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

The video rocks btw. I predict either it will be in line with Nintendo's predictions and perform as expected OR it will completely outperform them and we will see shortages (possibly delaying american/others launch) and possibly see Nintendo have to issue an apology again. Imo it will be the latter. I can see it convincing non-ds owning people to buy one because of its multi-media capabilities and these plus the general improvements being enough to get alot of current DS/DSLite owners to convert.

It will sell more then the PSP 3000 i'll give it around 300k first week in Japan, because these are big changes.

In Japan it might sell really well because a change as small as new colors can drive hardware sales in Japan ... Beyond that I don't expect too much

To me the DSi seems to be Nintendo "feeling around" to see what people are interested in for a handheld device and features that they see people enjoying will probably be integrated into their next system.