By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Great logic for the ages...

cdude1034 said:

Fix our what? High schools? hahahahaha. You can thank No Child Left Behind for that. They replaced what we had to a system of teaching to standardized tests EVEN MORE than what we had. At least we had a system where the cream of the crop could get ahead through accelerated programs. It single handedly took out the Gifted/Talented program when I went to high school. We need someone who actually knows something about education to head the Dept of Education.

No, we need to abolish it. Not only is it a waste of money and ineffective, but its constitutionality is tenuous. A department dedicated to the enforcement of civil rights is unnecessary. There are other ways to rectify a situation if one’s civil rights have been violated. There are ways to improve the educational system, but the ED is not a component of that solution.

Around the Network
Jackson50 said:

No, we need to abolish it. Not only is it a waste of money and ineffective, but its constitutionality is tenuous. A department dedicated to the enforcement of civil rights is unnecessary. There are other ways to rectify a situation if one’s civil rights have been violated. There are ways to improve the educational system, but the ED is not a component of that solution.

I'm pretty sure I'm misunderstanding you here, but I think I agree with you. NCLB was a horrible, horrible idea that was even worse in practice than it was in theory. Sorry if I'm misinterpreting this, I'm a little woozy right now.

Currently playing: Civ 6

cdude1034 said:
halogamer1989 said:
I suggest people read this website article for info regarding the impact of the NCLB Act and VA SOL test scores--they have gone up exponentially since it's inception

http://www.doe.virginia.gov/VDOE/NewHome/pressreleases/2005/oct25.html

You say that like those test scores mean anything. Have SAT scores gone up? Or have we just been teaching to the various state standardized tests? No need to answer, I already know.

Not only that, but the incidences of...what's the word. Please excuse me, I took some benadryl and I  can't think straight right now. I'm talking about...not forgery per se, but where the teachers manipulate the test taking conditions or actually change students answers to give them a better score.

I suggest not reading too much into state standardized tests.

Technically SAT scores should never really go up because they are based on a Bell Curve distribution.  They may fluctuate, but they aren't really going to go up.  If anything they are going to go down, because the more people that take the test the less "smart" people are probably taking the test.

And they did rise either 100 or 200 points artificially sometime with in the last few decades, but that is simply because the collegeboard artificially raised the numbers (without actually changing what they mean) to get people to shut the fuck up.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

VA, Texas, and California are some of the "smartest" states in terms of how well they do at really big events, like UIL and Academic Decathlon. Their national merit scores for the PSAT are very high too. It doesn't mean that the average person is smarter, it just means that they have a lot of really smart people.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

cdude1034 said:
halogamer1989 said:
cdude1034 said:
halogamer1989 said:
I suggest people read this website article for info regarding the impact of the NCLB Act and VA SOL test scores--they have gone up exponentially since it's inception

http://www.doe.virginia.gov/VDOE/NewHome/pressreleases/2005/oct25.html

You say that like those test scores mean anything. Have SAT scores gone up? Or have we just been teaching to the various state standardized tests? No need to answer, I already know.

Not only that, but the incidences of...what's the word. Please excuse me, I took some benadryl and I  can't think straight right now. I'm talking about...not forgery per se, but where the teachers manipulate the test taking conditions or actually change students answers to give them a better score.

I suggest not reading too much into state standardized tests.

VA is different than Texas cdude.  Don't get me wrong The Lone Star state is a great place but VA education standards are extremely strict as of late and it is showing because of it.

I'm not comparing anything to Texas, I'm saying standardized tests as a whole are pretty useless. I've seen more than just the TX standardized tests, and though I haven't seen any from VA, I can almost guarantee you no serious college would look at the VA test over the SAT's.

Cdude: the VA SOL tests are given in order to go to the next grade.  We don't use them for college placement--SAT and ACT scores are used for that.

Around the Network
akuma587 said:
halogamer1989 said:
I hope everyone here is joking--you have heard of this saying, right?

Can't say I have.

Akuma is a die har Democrat, so maybe he has heard this one:

"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country."

Sadly, most Americans don't seem to take that advice anymore.

halogamer1989 said:

"Give a man a fish; feed him for today. Teach a man to fish; feed him for a lifetime."  This is my logic for the current US predicament and I would like to know who among us at VGC agrees...

Am I just stupid, or are there a couple of things missing here?

A: what specific predicament are you talking about?
B: What do you mean should be taught, and whom should be taught?
C: Who should do the teaching?
D: What should we do when there's no more fish because all the newfound fishermen just caught it all?

ALTERNATIVE: Is this part of the Mcain Campaign?

This is invisible text!

TheRealMafoo said:

Akuma is a die har Democrat, so maybe he has heard this one:

"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country."

Sadly, most Americans don't seem to take that advice anymore.

OMG, JFK!!!! *faints*

Killergran said:
halogamer1989 said:

"Give a man a fish; feed him for today. Teach a man to fish; feed him for a lifetime."  This is my logic for the current US predicament and I would like to know who among us at VGC agrees...

Am I just stupid, or are there a couple of things missing here?

A: what specific predicament are you talking about?
B: What do you mean should be taught, and whom should be taught?
C: Who should do the teaching?
D: What should we do when there's no more fish because all the newfound fishermen just caught it all?

ALTERNATIVE: Is this part of the Mcain Campaign?

A. He is talking about economic redistribution. If you just give money to the poor instead of giving them the tools to earn it, you will always need to give them money.

B. People who do not own a skill worth enough to support themselves, should be taught one. I would assume at the expense of others (fine with me)

C. Anyone who is willing to do so.

D. In this context, we are talking about jobs. The best way to reduce jobs, is to take money from the rich and give it to the poor. Kind of ironic huh? :)

Alternative: No, McCain is not that smart. This is (was) part of Ron Paul's Campaign.

Ugh I don't like Fish X_X.