By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - GOP spent 150k on Palin's clothes; "regular hockey moms" put off

akuma587 said:
Jackson50 said:
This is reminiscent of the time people lambasted Clinton for wearing Giorgio Armani. This talk about clothing is silliness.

When you claim to represent people like Joe the Plumber, then I think it is completely valid.  Not to mention the fact that the GOP always tries to label Democrats as elitists. 

If the GOP didn't do this, then I would agree that the topic is totally irrelevant.  But they call Palin a freaking Hockey Mom for crying out loud!

I don't know ...

From our understanding of her life before becoming the Vice Presidential candidate, she certainly has not lived the lifestyle of an elitist. I could be wrong but I suspect how she ended up buying the wardrobe was John McCain’s style consultant suggested/insisted that Sarah Palin was ‘Dressed to Kill’ (in a non-army fatigues kind of way).

To put it another way, awhile back I was working at a company and I was pretty close to one of the 'girls' in the marketing department. The companies dress code was at the more formal end of business casual which meant that most of us peons wore dress pants and a dress shirt while managers wore dress pants and a blazer. On a typical day, my entire outfit would have cost as much to buy in a store as any one of her items did (shirt, pants/skirt, shoes). She didn't make more money than I did, she didn't care that much about what she was wearing (she was pretty punk-rock outside of the office), and the only reason she wore the clothes she did was her manager insisted on it. As I said before, the type of person who can't tell the difference between a $50 shirt and a $250 shirt doesn't care, while the person who can tell the difference may judge you inappropriately because of it.

Now, all politicians claim to represent 'the little guy' and yet (for the most part) they live a lifestyle far above 'the little guy' ... For example, Joe Biden spends more money commuting on Amtrack every year than 'the little guy' probably spent to buy his car.

Around the Network

She is running for vice-president. One who runs for such a prominent position is going to spend a lot of money on one's appearance. Could you imagine if she showed up to rallies or campaign stops in whatever clothing they sell at Target or K-Mart?

Jackson50 said:
She is running for vice-president. One who runs for such a prominent position is going to spend a lot of money on one's appearance. Could you imagine if she showed up to rallies or campaign stops in whatever clothing they sell at Target or K-Mart?

No, I am not surprised at all.  Honestly I could care less about the whole thing.  I don't buy into the little guy rhetoric, as you can learn a lot more about how a politician will treat the little guy by just looking at their platform than listening to them.  I just think it is kind of ironic.

But do you think the GOP would want this in the headlines?  I am not saying that Obama would want what his wardrobe costs in the headlines either, but I think it would hurt the GOP more than it would hurt the Democrats.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

yea and Obama should give the 150 million he raised to the poor people he wants to help so bad...

she is running for VP, I am willing to bet all of the canidates clothes cost that much or more.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

I think the point is they should pay for things like that with their own money.

[2:08:58 am] Moongoddess256: being asian makes you naturally good at ddr
[2:09:22 am] gnizmo: its a weird genetic thing
[2:09:30 am] gnizmo: goes back to hunting giant crabs in feudal Japan

Around the Network

Exactly bigjon. I wonder how much it cost to fluff up Obama and Mr. Gaffe?

You guys know that some of the information about what Obama and McCain wear is in the article right...

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

I read the article. The article also says the DNC and obamas campaign have not paid for their clothing. Just hair and makeup.

I'd prefer that these rich people buy their clothing with their own piles of money.

[2:08:58 am] Moongoddess256: being asian makes you naturally good at ddr
[2:09:22 am] gnizmo: its a weird genetic thing
[2:09:30 am] gnizmo: goes back to hunting giant crabs in feudal Japan

Well, the GOP said they were donating the clothes to charity after the election.

Moongoddess256 said:
I read the article. The article also says the DNC and obamas campaign have not paid for their clothing. Just hair and makeup.

I'd prefer that these rich people buy their clothing with their own piles of money.

and you believe that?  Obama just raked in over $150 million for the month of Sept. John Kerry only raised $324 million for his entire campaign!  Of course he is getting everything he and his wife want.