By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do we really buy games?

I am, and have always been since 1996, a Nintendo fan. Specifically, I buy every Mario, Metroid, Zelda and Pokemon title that Nintendo releases, including spinoffs (as if SSBM is a spinoff...)

I was playing Mario Kart the other day, when I thought:

"Would I be playing this game if it was exactly the same but didn't have Mario in it? Just Mario taken out, nothing else?

No, I wouldn't.

But the game's just as good if 30 polygons are slightly changed, isn't it? Didn't I buy it for the gameplay; the graphics; and the music?

...I would have just skipped over it and never experienced its multiplayer and addictive genius."

I searched on the web, and finally found the reverse was also true. Nintendo had taken a mediocre-selling Japanese game for the NES (Doki Doki Panic) and added Mario (very little else was changed) and sold it in the US as Super Mario Bros. 2. I bought it as a remake, unaware it was a port of a game I'd have never have looked at.

I come to the conclusion that I buy games purely and simply because they have pixellated Italian plumber in a moustache, ignoring the game's quality .

Do you buy games just on this? Does this give us an insight into fanboyism?

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.

Around the Network

No. That is the definition of fanboyism. I buy games that I believe I will enjoy.

I have a question. What is it that makes you decide to stick to Nintendo? I understand that they have released many quality games in the Mario, Zelda, Metroid etc... franchises. But why avoid other consoles?

I personally play what is fun, and try not to let the console a game is on affect my view of it.

I personally try to stay away from series of games like MGS, Mario, FF and etc. Most of the time what happens(for me at least, everybody's experience is different) is that the series tend to get diluted over time and players still continue to buy them just because the first few games were good. I do buy sequels to great games, but only if I know I will enjoy the sequel.

Proud owner of the following gaming devices:

PC, XBox 360, Wii, PS2, DS, PS3

I'm a little surprised this is the first you've heard of Doki Doki Panic, it's one of the real classic "swap'em" titles.

Yes, brand name does come into play now and again. Would I buy a Mario Kart game if it was not a Mario game? Probably not. Would I buy Mario Galaxy if it wasn't a Mario game? Probably.

PS3: 5.51m/51w, avg 108,039/w (up 239)
360: 12.93m/102w, avg 126,764/w (up 625), leads PS3 by 7.42m (up 70k), avg lead 18,725/w (up 386)
Wii: 13.52m/51w, avg 265,098/w (dn 1,102), leads PS3 by 8.01m (up 90k), avg lead 157,059/w (dn 1,341)

If 360 sales stabilize, PS3 sales increases needed to pass 360 by...
01/08: (008w) +875.8%, 04/08: (021w) +344.4%, 07/08: (034w) +219.3%, 10/08: (047w) +163.5%
01/09: (060w) +131.8%, 04/09: (073w) +111.4%, 07/09: (085w) +098.1%, 10/09: (099w) +086.7%
If Wii sales stabilize, PS3 sales increases needed to pass Wii by...
01/08: (008w) +1072.%, 04/08: (021w) +498.4%, 07/08: (034w) +363.4%, 10/08: (047w) +303.1%
01/09: (060w) +269.0%, 04/09: (073w) +246.9%, 07/09: (085w) +232.6%, 10/09: (099w) +220.3%
If PS2 sales freeze, Wii sales increases needed to pass PS2 (as of Mar07, 108.4m) by...
2008: (008w) +4373.8%, 2009: (060w) +0496.5%, 2010: (112w) +0219.6%, 2011: (165w) +0116.9%
2012: (217w) +0064.9%, 2013: (269w) +0033.1%, 2014: (321w) +0011.5%, 2015: (376w) -0004.8%
At +0% it will pass it in 358w, the week ending September 19th, 2014, at an age of 409w (7y44w).
Current age of PS2: 7y37w.

Last update: Week ending November 3, 2007

Around the Network
DonWii said:
No. That is the definition of fanboyism. I buy games that I believe I will enjoy.

The other side of the fanboyism coin is completely avoiding or crapping on games on other systems automatically because they are not on your system of choice. Just cause you don't mock the games and just completely avoid or ignore them because they aren't on your system doesn't mean you're not a fanboy, it just means you're the quiet type of fanboy instead of the raving type.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

The reason I stick with Nintendo is the lack of violence, the colourful and playful graphics, the retro (often midi-style) music and the long history of each franchise which helps in-game jokes, cameos and Easter eggs.

As I've said elsewhere, I picked Nintendo (N64) over Sony (PS) when I had no preconceptions toward either, simply because of the controller layout.

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.

Game_boy said:

As I've said elsewhere, I picked Nintendo (N64) over Sony (PS) when I had no preconceptions toward either, simply because of the controller layout.

Did you still feel that way about the controls after Sony copied the thumbstick and camera control ideas? :P

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

to break free from the mundane and the monotony of everyday and of course to play them

Once I have committed to a system, I rarely buy another. But my gaming habits are pretty eclectic, even more so this generation. My bread and butter is JRPG's along with survival horrors and action/adventure games like Prince of Persia and DMC. This generation I am much more open to FPS's, platformers, and just about anything else. I can get sick of the same-old franchises (which is why I don't like Nintendo who more or less releases the same games every generation just revamped a little). There are plenty that I have stuck with though like MGS, FF, Suikoden, Xenosaga, DMC, Prince of Persia, etc. It is just about balancing the old with the new (which is why i am glad Sony is working overtime to make new IP's).

I would pick up a 360 over the Wii because Microsoft is doing a much better job at delivering "new" games, not just another Mario game, ANOTHER Mario game, another Zelda game, and another Metroid game.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson