By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - No-God slogans on busses.

Kasz216 said:

Tony Blair.

The Prime Minister of England appoints people in the Church of England... so to be Prime Minister... and be Catholic.  That would provide a lot of controversy.

Tony Blair was stepping down because he had to - his political position simply wasn't secure. He converted to Catholicism after stepping down to avoid that controversy.

Around the Network
SamuelRSmith said:
Kasz216 said:
SamuelRSmith said:
Kasz216 said:
Rath said:
outlawauron said:
Kasz216 said:
Wow. What a waste of money...

Guess the economic crisis ain't so bad in england.

Seriously. You would think that they'd could do more to further their Humanist society other than knocking down Christianity.

Where did you get the idea they were knocking down Christianity? Its not the only monotheistic religion - this ad is an attack on all of them equally.

Because it's the "state religion"? 

I'd guess.  Kinda funny.  People complain about Church and State in the US... and yet the UK is the one where a guy had to quit his job because he wanted to be Catholic.

What guy quit his job because he wanted to become catholic?

Tony Blair.

The Prime Minister of England appoints people in the Church of England... so to be Prime Minister... and be Catholic.  That would provide a lot of controversy.

So him resigning had nothing to do with the huge public pressure, and the fact that he said he would during the last general election because of the Iraq war?

Blair was no avoider of controversy, the Iraq War and Cash-for-Honours proves that.

So it's just a coincidence he waited to convert till almost immediatly after he resigned?

Even if it was the point remains.  You can't be Catholic... or really not a member of the Church of England and be Prime Minister.

While at least theoretically you could be President of the US and not be Christian in general. (hasn't hapened yet.  Unless you count Rutherford B Hayes.  But there is nothing in the legal framework that makes it a problem.)

Oh wait. Apparently Abraham Lincoln wasn't Christian... but a Deist.

Oh man that's a fact that would piss off a lot of republicans.

Kasz216 said:
ManusJustus said:
The Red Cross is atheist?

There is no evidence that religious people do more or less than atheists. However, there was a study conducted that showed that liberals gave more to charity (although liberals tend to have more money because they are higher educated and live in urban areas which tend to be more wealthy), and I would imagine more athiests would classify themselves as liberal rather than conservative.

What study was that?  From what i've seen it's the exact opposite research wise.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2008/03/conservatives_more_liberal_giv.html

The religious just give more.  These aren't studies about what charities... it's about the people themselves.

http://philanthropy.com/free/articles/v19/i04/04001101.htm

"His initial research for Who Really Cares revealed that religion played a far more significant role in giving than he had previously believed. In 2000, religious people gave about three and a half times as much as secular people — $2,210 versus $642. And even when religious giving is excluded from the numbers, Mr. Brooks found, religious people still give $88 more per year to nonreligious charities.

He writes that religious people are more likely than the nonreligious to volunteer for secular charitable activities, give blood, and return money when they are accidentally given too much change."

This one has another "test" outside of that book.

http://townhall.com/columnists/JohnStossel/2006/12/06/who_gives_to_charity

"And what happened in our little test? Well, even though people in Sioux Falls make, on average, half as much money as people in San Francisco, and even though the San Francisco location was much busier -- three times as many people were within reach of the bucket -- by the end of the second day, the Sioux Falls bucket held twice as much money."

Of course this isnt' to say Atheists don't give a crap or anything.  It's just statistically shown that religion does seem to make people donate more to charity.  I'd guess because people think god is keeping a score card that has a bigger divide then an icecream sundae vs a punch in the face.

hey, thanks for looking it up.

There is no doubt that religious people do more to better the world.

And so what if they want to save people's souls?  what does that matter?  Religious people are helping others in need so that should be good enough. 

i am thankful for the religious people - even if some of them are weird and bug me a bit.

Actually, it's the Queen who appoints the senior members, though it's on advice from the prime minister. I do not believe the prime minister has to give advice, and I even believe a law was passed saying that if the prime minister is not a protestant, the queen doesn't need to take the advice.

Or something like that.

Around the Network
SamuelRSmith said:

Actually, it's the Queen who appoints the senior members, though it's on advice from the prime minister. I do not believe the prime minister has to give advice, and I even believe a law was passed saying that if the prime minister is not a protestant, the queen doesn't need to take the advice.

Or something like that.

From what i've read the Prime Minister is given names and then picks one... who the queen then has to appoint.  I haven't read anything about that other law.

Though Gordon Brown did want to pass a law to where the Prime Minister is given one name... which is then given to the queen.

Making it really a pointless exercise.

Just because religious people spend more money on charity doesn't justify their delusional belief system. Being "good" (which isn't absolute) shouldn't validate or be exclusive to make believe.

Kasz216 said:
SamuelRSmith said:

Or something like that.

From what i've read the Prime Minister is given names and then picks one... who the queen then has to appoint.  I haven't read anything about that other law.

Though Gordon Brown did want to pass a law to where the Prime Minister is given one name... which is then given to the queen.

Making it really a pointless exercise.

Well, the idea is to slowly remove the powers of the Queen, which of course, I am for, as a Republican.

That is wrong.

halogamer1989 said:
That is wrong.

How so?