By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will PS3 ever get hacked?

hawks511 said:
I think main reason is because Xbox 360 is hacked and most of the games are there (except some really good exclusives). So, why bother about ps3. Also size of download files and blu ray no so cheap are also a factor.

I agree with the bold part, is easier to have a 360 for the illegal multiplatforms and buy the ps3 exclusives...

About the download and blu-ray, possible, but not a strong reason, like i said:

-PS1, Saturn: Blank CDs and CD burners were expensive, Downloading 650 MB was a pain in the ass with Dial-Up or slow bandwidth, yet, it still got hacked

-PS2, GC, Xbox: Blank DVDs and DVD burners were expensive, Downloading 4.4 to 8.5 GB was a pain in the ass with average bandwidth, yet, it still got hacked

PS3 follows the same pattern, except that it's the only console that has Blu-Ray and it shares too much titles with the 360, that uses cheap DVDs...

Around the Network

PS3 will never be hacked. It is pirate free in regards to being able to play pirated PS3 games on the console.

I don't know about that, in this actual world when something is launched as "hack-free" it's begging for it to be hacked, i've seen more complex things hacked than the PS3...

It could be hard, but it will be hacked sooner or later...

bugrimmar said:
it has been cracked.

the reasons why we're not seeing pirated games all over the place is:

1.) blu ray burners are expensive

2.) blu ray discs are more expensive than dvds

3.) the ps3 has the lowest install base, and therefore not as profitable to hack as the other consoles.

Err that's why people get all excited when a group of hacker claims they have been able to launch an executable using a Resistance bug ?

Define your 'it's been hacked' because right now it's does not seem to be the consensus among the sites actually following that kind of information or actually trying to hack the system....

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Sure you can hack it but there is a good chance you won't be able to play online again with a hacked PS3...

Around the Network
Marty8370 said:
omgwtfbbq said:
Marty8370 said:
Cell chip has security built into it, at hardware level. That is why it's been imposible too crack so far.

Quote:
"The architecture's main strength is its ability to allow an application to protect itself using the hardware security features instead of the conventional method of solely relying on the operating system or other supervisory software for protection. Therefore, if the operating system is compromised by an attack, the hardware security features can still protect the application and its valuable data. As an analogy, consider the protection the supervisory software provides as the castle's moat and the Cell BE security hardware features as the locked safe inside the castle".

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/power/library/pa-cellsecurity/

all consoles have always had hardware level security features. That doesn't make it impossible to crack, it just makes it more difficult.

The PS3 will get cracked, believe me, it's just a matter of time.

Your wrong, all consoles don't have hardware level security features. Most use software: PS2, PSP, DS, Wii, Xbox, 360, all use software. Nothing out has hardware level security features as advanced as Cell.

It's highly doubtful that the PS3 will ever be hacked.

read up on the "starlet", a processor within the hollywood processor of the Wii with the main goal of keeping the Wii keys secure. Read the accounts of team Twiizers, who hacked the Wii not by writing and inspecting code, but by using tweezers to connect up different pins within the Wii. A hardware hack for hardware security.

No hardware is completely unhackable, not while you can open it up and it will still work. Banks spend millions ensuring their hardware is unhackable and the main way that's accomplished is by completely destroying everything as soon as it even looks like the hardware is being tampered with. 

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

They don't even have to hack Cell... all they need to do is figure out how to get the video card's full functionality working through Linux and they can easily work from there. Besides a real hack doesn't really exist outside the PS2 and Dreamcast.. running games on a non modded system.

I disagree with speeds, it wouldnt take too long to download a ps3 game, there are also tons of ps3 games already on newsgroups for people to download, but they cant be used at the moment anyway.

Most xbox 360 games are around 7.5gb in size to download and that takes me approx 30 mins to download. Most internet connections now must surely be at least 10mb?  I know my connection is in the top 5% fastest in the UK (and 10% of the world) according to that speedtest.net site but a lot of people can use cable connection speeds so it wouldnt take that long to download a ps3 game.

I think the main point is that the pirate hackers usually copy off the clever ones and since those guys have no need to hack it to install linux etc then there is nothing to copy off.  Plus most multiformat games people get on the 360 mainly because its a lot better online and obviously people can download them quickly and the dual layer disks are cheap too. 

360 has lots of really good exclusive titles yet the ps3 only has 2 or 3 that are decent too, so that would be another reason because the user base just wouldnt be there, why download a game and buy blu ray disk when you can do the same but put it on a really cheap dl dvd and have better online play etc?!

I dont think the ps3 will ever get hacked to play backup games, which makes it funny because those idiots that have uploaded games onto newsgroups for ps3, what a waste of time lol

Of course that it'll be hacked, sooner or later it will

||Tag courtesy of fkusumot - "Heaven is like a Nintendo theme park!"||Join the Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 American League HERE!||