By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - blu ray cuts down on piracy

So blu-ray was worth something after all....

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Around the Network
Naum said:
BMaker11 said:
Skip all the talk about hacking your PS3, or the Cell's architecture.....PS3 games are just big. I mean....would you really want to sit and wait to download 50GB to play MGS4?

umm it takes maximum of 30 mins to download 50GB

Downloading is not really a issue but storage them would be something else or you have to delete them always.

Or atleast for me...

Naum said:
BMaker11 said:
Skip all the talk about hacking your PS3, or the Cell's architecture.....PS3 games are just big. I mean....would you really want to sit and wait to download 50GB to play MGS4?

umm it takes maximum of 30 mins to download 50GB

not many people have 220 mbit internet lines

edit: i see you live in sweden, sweden is really great for pirates with their insane internet speed.

I don't think PS3 Hacking will take off with people, mostly due to cost...

Lets say it was hacked though:

Burning a game to a BluRay Disk: Like many have already said, each disc is expensive, and then you need a BluRay burner which is more expensive, then you need the bandwidth and HDD space to download it...

Burning a game to the Hard Drive: The PS3 uses the 2.5" laptop Hard Drives, which we all know is real expensive compared to a 3.5" desktop ones... So you spend all this money for a 300GB to fit 25-50GB Games? all that for 6-12 games?

Compared to the Wii, where each disc will cost you 20 cents
And the Xbox1, where you plug in a 500GB HDD, and you can play over 200 Xbox Games

As far as PS3 Hacking goes, what will make it explode on the scene is homebrew, XBMC. PS3 has far more potential in XBMC then the Xbox360

MikeB said:

The PS3 is difficult to hack, it uses the Cell to decode complicated encryptions.

In addition there aren't many Blu-Ray burners out there yet.

Once the PS3 gets hacked, a simple automatic firmware update may put an end to pirating joys.

The PS3 is not kind towards pirates.

For a person who is supposedly technologically knowledgeable you sure as hell dont know a lot about hacking.

MattAAron said:
I don't think PS3 Hacking will take off with people, mostly due to cost...

Lets say it was hacked though:

Burning a game to a BluRay Disk: Like many have already said, each disc is expensive, and then you need a BluRay burner which is more expensive, then you need the bandwidth and HDD space to download it...

Burning a game to the Hard Drive: The PS3 uses the 2.5" laptop Hard Drives, which we all know is real expensive compared to a 3.5" desktop ones... So you spend all this money for a 300GB to fit 25-50GB Games? all that for 6-12 games?

Compared to the Wii, where each disc will cost you 20 cents
And the Xbox1, where you plug in a 500GB HDD, and you can play over 200 Xbox Games

As far as PS3 Hacking goes, what will make it explode on the scene is homebrew, XBMC. PS3 has far more potential in XBMC then the Xbox360

The PS3 can use a desktop (3.5") HD just fine. You'd just have to keep it outside of the console.

So you could get a 750gb HD for roughly the cost of 2 PS3 games. Then you could fit 30 25gb games on their easy, and as most PS3 games are less then 15gb you could easily fit more then 60 games. That doesn't even take into account any ripping that could be done.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Around the Network

50 Gigabytes would not take 1/2 hour.

It'd take me two, three, four days.

blackstar said:
ps3 sales will never pick up in some countries unless it gets hacked, over 100$ for one game , give me a break!

Sony looses money or break even of the hardware and makes money of the software.

They have no interest in getting into market where only the hardware sells and all the software gets pirated....

PS : My understanding is that burnable Blu-Ray actually cost only 3-5$ in Japan so that cost could come down fast.

Low to non existent pirating on Blu-Ray might not seem good to some of you, but it's one hell of an edge for Sony in their relationship with Publishers...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

DMeisterJ said:
50 Gigabytes would not take 1/2 hour.

It'd take me two, three, four days.s

The thing is, almost every PS3 game is multiplatform with the 360, so most games would clock in at most whatever the 360's limit is. Isn't that like 6 1/2 GBs or something? A 50GB game should be a rarity on the PS3.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Its alot of download bandwidth. Some countries charge per Mb so on a 50$ au. account i only get 12 Gigs per month. No fukn way will i use that much bandwidth to download one game.

If you can rent and copy them yourself sure its an option but blank media costs and the lack of available BR burners are the nail in the coffin.

I assume like all tech unlocking the PS3 has already been done but regardless its a pretty obvious statement to make. There just arn't that many BR players out there.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Here in Spain I would need like one month with our 4-5 Mb speed to download 50Gb ....maybe even more.Besides I could only put one or two of those into my hard drive ,and only one on the PS3 hard drive.

And Sony could squash any pirate fw with an obligatory firmware update .

The penetration in some markets will be slower that the PS2 ,but for Sony its way better to have 80million PS3 users buying original games that 110 but all of them tempted by the piracy.