By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - You Can't Soak the Rich

Very interesting article. I came across this Hauser's Law information, and posted it on page 4 of another thread. I thought this was important enough to have its own thread.

Please read the article before posting (it will take less then 5 minutes).

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121124460502305693.html

Around the Network

a couple interesting points but seemed pretty obvious to me on the whole....like someone pointing out you happen to be at a computer right now.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

MrBubbles said:
a couple interesting points but seemed pretty obvious to me on the whole....like someone pointing out you happen to be at a computer right now.

lol, well wait a little bit. I am sure there will be replies that don't agree with you, me, or Mr Ranson.

The nice thing about this argument however, is the lack of theoretical philosophy. It's hard to dispute facts :)

TheRealMafoo said:

It's hard to dispute facts :)

You can when the facts are wrong.  This theory from an opinion article (of all places) is dead wrong, the United States percentage of tax revenue to GDP has not been 19.5% since 1950, in fact its been around 10% for the past few years.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/tax_tax_rev_of_gdp-taxation-tax-revenue-of-gdp

na na na na na na i posted without reading

Around the Network
ManusJustus said:
TheRealMafoo said:

You can when the facts are wrong.  This theory from an opinion article (of all places) is dead wrong, the United States percentage of tax revenue to GDP has not been 19.5% since 1950, in fact its been around 10% for the past few years.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/tax_tax_rev_of_gdp-taxation-tax-revenue-of-gdp

Owned.

This kind of reinforces the other problem I brought up in the other thread we were having an economic discussion in, that the current tax system allows people to avoid paying taxes way too easily because of all the loopholes.  When we raise taxes on the rich, they funnel their money out of the country or do somersaults of tax evasion to prevent paying extra.  For how bad of shape our national debt is in, we should be taking in a lot more if only to decrease the national debt, which will eventually be a huge burden on our entire economic sector.

We should solve the problem now, rather than later.  If it keeps growing at the rate it is now, the interest payments on the debt will become over 20% of our federal budget, and even more if it goes on for longer.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

That article smelled fishy from the beginning. Anything that starts out saying that disagreeing with the article is like disagreeing wit physics just begs to be disagreed with. Anything that asserts itself that strongly should be questioned.

And looking a few posts down in the thread it looks like there was good reason to question it.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

ManusJustus said:
TheRealMafoo said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_tax_revenue_as_percentage_of_GDP

Clearly your source is dead wrong.

Broncos724 said:
ManusJustus said:
TheRealMafoo said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_tax_revenue_as_percentage_of_GDP

Clearly your source is dead wrong.

Thanks for the link. And the original article talks about how much you collect from the rich when you change there tax bracket. Not total tax collection.

WTH, all three of those sources give different data of tax revenue as a percentage of GDP...At least two of them are wrong.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson