By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Own a PS3? Go online? Hello Big Brother.

Jo21 said:
they also include flash 9 and an worthy anti brick feature.

but good things are always ignored over stupid ones. *rolls eyes*

lol.

Around the Network

who cares?

Most of it is all fairly standard stuff. The only thing that stood out was the install things without telling you bit. Hopefully that will only be used to brick consoles that get pirated, not to install stuff onto customers consoles (rootkit much)

Actually, the ownership of content sucks too
"This reminds me of the Google Chrome situation from before, where Google claimed ownership of everything that was sent or displayed throught their browser."
In Google's defence, that was a mistake brought about because they copy pasted the terms of use from a different product without actually reading them (Not even the company reads its own terms of use anymore)

Sony spying on its customers? NO WAY! That never happened before!!

Oh...

Do other consoles have similar guidelines for online? Is this out of the ordinary?

Around the Network

Just because they can it doesnt mean they will.

Thatmax said:
Just because they can it doesnt mean they will.

Hey, how can one go about going into politics?

NeoRatt said:
Do other consoles have similar guidelines for online? Is this out of the ordinary?

I would imagine all the systems have something very similar, it may be worded different though.  And just about every site on the net or communication application would have similar stuff.

ssj12 said:
you guys are missing the boat, again. on this subject.

Let me c + p a post off gamepolitics.com

Submitted by E. Zachary Knight - October 18, 2008 at 3:57 pm -0500

10. USER MATERIAL

You may have the opportunity to post, stream or transmit pictures, photographs, game-related materials, music, home video content or other information through PSN to share with the PSN community (“User Material”). We may provide you with content to use in the creation of User Material. User Material created by you will belong to you, although any content provided by us will still belong to us and/or our licensors as explained in Section 7 above.

You authorise us, our affiliated companies and other PSN users, to use, distribute, copy, modify, display, and publish your User Material throughout PSN and other associated services. You also authorise us and our affiliated companies, without payment to you, to license, sell and otherwise commercially exploit your User Material (for example, selling subscriptions to access User Material and/or receiving advertising revenue related to User Material), and to use your User Material in the promotion of PlayStation products and services. You must not commercially exploit User Material without our consent. You waive any moral rights you may have in your User Material. By posting, streaming or transmitting User Material you represent and warrant that you have all rights necessary to use, post, stream and transmit such User Material and to grant the rights set out in this paragraph.

Alright, this makes no sense at all. I highlighted a few points here. First they say that the user creating the content owns it. Then they say that they have all rights to sell use or "commercially exploit" your stuff without your approval. Then they say that you cannot "commercially exploit" your own work without their permission. Finally, they say that you can only send stuff over their service if you own it.

They sure have a funny definition of ownership.

Just by this section alone, I will never be buying a PS3 or LBP. Thanks for solidifying that decision for me Sony.

This reminds me of the Google Chrome situation from before, where Google claimed ownership of everything that was sent or displayed throught their browser.

E. Zachary Knight
Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA
MySpace Page: http://www.myspace.com/okceca
Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1325674091

* Login or register to post comments

Submitted by Spartan - October 18, 2008 at 5:04 pm -0500

It makes perfect sense. They are saying you "own" your creation but that you can gain nothing from it except bragging rights and that you give them total rights to use/control and to profit from it without any compensation going to you. Your ownership is in name only per say. Think of it as a license within a license. Seems to me should a one sided situation without any good faith negotiation simply would not hold up in court.

so basically Sony is just looking to use LBP content in a similar fashion as they are with echochrome's. It is jsut a bit more advanced since LBP is more advanced.

read the bolded parts above.. thanks

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

DMeisterJ said:
@ DOAT

Of course.

Anything that can be spun horribly for Sony is new worthy.

said like a man

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st