By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Own a PS3? Go online? Hello Big Brother.

Via Slashdot (http://games.slashdot.org/games/08/10/18/0250225.shtml):

"Sony just rolled out their new Terms of Service for the Playstation Network. The new ToS features additions about the Master & Subaccount relationship, specifically that you can only 'legally' create a sub account for your own child. No friends allowed. Where it really gets interesting is when you get to the additions to section 3.0 Community Code of Conduct. You now can't tell anyone your real name, where you live or basically anything besides your PSN ID. The new ToS also brings to light that SCEA is going to be monitoring every piece of communication and activitiy, and reserves the right to remove any content or communication they find objectionable without having to tell you in interests of SCEA, its users, or licensors. Another addition is: 'Some content may be provided automatically without notice when you sign into PSN. Such content may include automatic updates or upgrades which may change your current operating system, cause a loss of data or content or cause a loss of functionalities or utilities."

So, basically, if you go online with your PS3, Sony can now:

-Prohibit you from creating subaccounts for your friends.

-Prohibit you from giving out your age, real name, or AIM/e-mail to other PSN members.

-Monitor anything and everything you say or do on PSN, and remove any content you post without notice or reason.

-Update your PS3 automatically, without notice, potentially gimping certain features or bricking your system, and they're not responsible for the consequences.

Looks like Sony's up to their old rootkit-esque tricks again.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Around the Network

hmmm....lets not jump to hasty conclusions.

Lets see whther they actually do anything like this or whether its there for our security

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Very nice, Sony.

Sony just pulled a /wrist fail.

now I don't watch sony, sony watches me :S

F.U. Fun University.

XD Nice.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Around the Network

So, basically, if you go online with your PS3, Sony can now:

-Prohibit you from creating subaccounts for your friends.

This is presumably to prevent people from "sharing" their downloadable content.  Its an anti-piracy measure of sorts.  Also prevents people from phishing your account details online.

-Prohibit you from giving out your age, real name, or AIM/e-mail to other PSN members.

Security measure

-Monitor anything and everything you say or do on PSN, and remove any content you post without notice or reason.

I'm probably partly to blame for this one, I get a few complaints about my name.  But this is probably more to prevent bullying and use of foul-language.  Lots of online services have this

-Update your PS3 automatically, without notice, potentially gimping certain features or bricking your system, and they're not responsible for the consequences.

This is probably to do with that update they released a while ago that made some (a very few) people reset their systems. 

Really nothing here thats Draconian, Just more CYA (cover your ass)

So they can control what we type? Wow, I Knew Sony was amazing, but they can control what I type? Awesome!

pwnd

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

I like to make friends in the psn comunity, I like to give my name and my adress, and bank account numbers to my friends.

F.U. Fun University.

^I'm stalking you :P joke