By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Head of Xbox: Nintendo copied us

Everyone copies everyone. Aslong as they don't infringe on each other intellectual property directly everyone will continue to do so.

Around the Network

This is bullshit. I hate Mii's too, i got a Bob Marley haircut but i can't make my eyes bloodshot. Fail

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

nothing is completely unique. Nintendo took a concept that was already done before, but used it in a new and interesting way. Microsoft then took that concept that Nintendo made. They can now either come up with new and interesting ways of using it, or they can just copy the Mii idea. It's up to Microsoft to show their innovation now.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

What is so funny is that if this claim is true -- then Microsoft is still copying.

Nothing has changed. It just means that Nintendo did not invent avatars (like anyone said they did). But they were the first to make them console-based rather than game-based. And Microsoft copied that too.

So I guess Microsoft copied twice.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Aside from people copying other people nintendo is in same boat they've been developing *their* avatars for over 20 years on all their consoles before it was materialised on the wii.

Around the Network

So ummm $MS is saying another company is copying them... Whats that saying about people who live in glass houses?

My PSN Name is:  EvilChronos    add me if u want :)

END OF GENERATION PREDICTIONS  "9-21-08"

PS3=130M     360=90M     Wii=120M     DS=130M     PSP=70M

Other Prediction: The PS3 will overtake the 360 XMAS of 09  "9-21-08"

4D boxing was an excellent game, by the way.

Keep in mind this is before SNES. Kids were still playing 8-bit games on the NES when this was released.

I played this game for months, it's a ton of fun.

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8

Sorry, the Ancient greek Gods had Avatars long before MS did

scottie said:

Sorry, the Ancient greek Gods had Avatars long before MS did

They Greek gods copied the avatar idea from the Sumerian gods. 

James Cameron invented Avatars shortly following the big bang

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.