By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Does anyone plays Lord of the Rings online?

I got today a free trial for 14 days.

I really want to try it out, but i have exams soon need to do lots of studying.

Is it addicting?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

I was tempted to but then I found out if you live in Texas, Washington, or Quebec you have to pay $79 for the expansion due to sales tax while everyone else gets to download it for $20.

I was in the beta way back before it came out, and it was one of the most enjoyable MMOs I ever played. Like all MMOs, however, I couldn't justify the monthly fee.

I did the 14 day trial about 2 months ago. I thought it was fun. It was pretty addicting. The world was freaking amazing though. If anything being able to be in Middle Earth was awesome.

Hi, this is Vince with Shamwow.

you really should try EVE Online. There is a free trial for it. Space + MMO = win. Sadly I dont like the pay to play thing for MMOs so I only did the free trial.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

Yeah I must agree the eve trial is really awesome.

eve? Doesn't ring a bell, am gonna take a look.
Any crazy system requirements ?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:
eve? Doesn't ring a bell, am gonna take a look.
Any crazy system requirements ?

none that i can think of.

System Requirements

•   Minimum:
    • Supported OS: Microsoft Windows® 2000 SP2 /XP/ Vista
    • Processor: Intel Pentium® III 800 MHz or AMD Athlon 800 MHz
    • Memory: 512 MB RAM or more
    • Graphics: 32 MB 3D graphics card (GeForce 2 Series or greater, ATi Radeon 7200 or greater, or similar chips from other manufacturers)
    • Drivers: DirectX® 9.0c (included) and latest video drivers
    • Hard Drive: 6.0 GB free space
    • Network: 56k modem or better Internet connection
    • Note: the minimum screen resolution for EVE is 1024x768. Audio hardware must be Direct Sound compatible. For optimum performance, use latest drivers available. Please note that Windows 95, Windows 98, ME, NT and 2000 below SP2 are not supported.

•   Recommended:
    • Supported OS: Microsoft Windows® XP/ Vista
    • Processor: Intel Pentium® IV 1.5 GHz or AMD XP 1500+ MHz
    • Memory: 1024 MB RAM
    • Graphics: 128 MB GeForce 6200 class card or higher, ATi 9000 series or higher, or similar chips from other manufacturers
    • Drivers: DirectX® 9.0c (included) and latest video drivers
    • Hard Drive: 6.0 GB free space
    • Network: Broadband Internet connection

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

I tried EVE for awhile, it was pretty cool, but I too couldn't do the monthly thing. I do have LOTRO online though... Got the $199 lifetime membership a few months back. Now is a pretty good time to "get" into LOTRO... since if you preorder Mines of Moria, you can get the $9.99/month fee or the $199 lifetime (just don't get it from Amazon, seems preorders from there don't get this special).

Also, Twesterm, unless you want the collectors edition, get the regular edition for $39.99, while the download version costs $29.99. But the download version is only available for those who have the game already (and thus already paid probably $19.99 for Shadows of Angmar), so really you are getting the deal there (of course the DL version has some perks... but still). Unless, of course, your sales tax rate is 200% or something... in which case I'd say import the game from another state.

But yeah... I'm a pretty big Lord of the Rings fan, so this was a must... and the world is really great. Especially if you have DX10 and can do all the bells and whistles. I can't say how the game stands up compared to other MMO's, since I'm not a big MMO fan (nor am I really a big RPG fan... go figure), but a lot of the players are former WoW players and I generally hear two things: It's better than WoW, and the community in LOTRO is much better than WoW's, mostly because WoW is full of kids I guess.

And personally, I'm with ssj12, I don't like paying the monthly thing, which is why I got the $199 lifetime membership... which is 20 months of playing time, and Turbine has extended their contract with Tolkien Enterprises, so the game could potentially be around for as long as 7 years or something. It really is worth it if you can lay down the cash up front.

Course, the $199 is only good if you preorder Moria, then it goes back to $14.99/month or $299 lifetime.

Stever89 said:
I tried EVE for awhile, it was pretty cool, but I too couldn't do the monthly thing. I do have LOTRO online though... Got the $199 lifetime membership a few months back. Now is a pretty good time to "get" into LOTRO... since if you preorder Mines of Moria, you can get the $9.99/month fee or the $199 lifetime (just don't get it from Amazon, seems preorders from there don't get this special).

Also, Twesterm, unless you want the collectors edition, get the regular edition for $39.99, while the download version costs $29.99. But the download version is only available for those who have the game already (and thus already paid probably $19.99 for Shadows of Angmar), so really you are getting the deal there (of course the DL version has some perks... but still). Unless, of course, your sales tax rate is 200% or something... in which case I'd say import the game from another state.

But yeah... I'm a pretty big Lord of the Rings fan, so this was a must... and the world is really great. Especially if you have DX10 and can do all the bells and whistles. I can't say how the game stands up compared to other MMO's, since I'm not a big MMO fan (nor am I really a big RPG fan... go figure), but a lot of the players are former WoW players and I generally hear two things: It's better than WoW, and the community in LOTRO is much better than WoW's, mostly because WoW is full of kids I guess.

And personally, I'm with ssj12, I don't like paying the monthly thing, which is why I got the $199 lifetime membership... which is 20 months of playing time, and Turbine has extended their contract with Tolkien Enterprises, so the game could potentially be around for as long as 7 years or something. It really is worth it if you can lay down the cash up front.

Course, the $199 is only good if you preorder Moria, then it goes back to $14.99/month or $299 lifetime.

My brother-in-law's dad is an avid MMO'er, and he likes LOTRO better than WoW.  Tbh, everybody I've met who's played both prefers LOTRO, but most still play WoW because that's what their friends play.

It'll be a long time before anything dethrones WoW, because of the community.