By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The sad state of the US people.

1) America is the land of the free, but not the land of the free market. A free market is not mentioned in the Constitution.

2) The Constitution allowed slavery, so it's not even the land of the free.

Around the Network
TheRealMafoo said:
akuma587 said:
TheRealMafoo said:

I do understand why you think it's ok you take away there rights. They are rich and it makes them an easy target. None the less, it's wrong.

The time when you need to stand behind what's right, is when it's hard to do so. Not when it's easy.

Also, I would understand if the poor are poor because of the rich, but that's not the case. The rich are not holding anyone down.

Oh, and the bailout that I was adamantly against was the opposite. Talking money from the middle class and giving it to the wealthy. Equally wrong. 

So what is a more important right to protect?  That someone gets to keep a little bit more of their money, or that someone gets to keep their life?

Every dollar of mine you take, is time of my life you take away from me, as it took time to earn it. Why is my life worth less to you?

Because you are unwilling to give some of your money to ensure basic human rights for everyone in society, such as healthcare.  You choose to take advantage of what society gives back to you everyday, but you piss and moan whenever society expects you to give something back.  Why should a person who can afford to give more not do so?

A society should be judged by the worst things it allows to happen to its people.  Why should the richest country in the world have any problems ensuring that its citizens' basic rights are met?  Hell, even a lot of our schools are in a completely unacceptable condition.  By most standards, our country is still segregated, and lower income schools are often grossly inferior.  Is that what this country stands for?

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

mafoo:
everyone has the right to be safe, even poor people.

if the poor people have no money, nobody is safe (except the super rich people who have attack dogs and brinks home security systems.).

my point is, you guys who are against this "redistribution" just don't realize how much 5 dollars means to poor people like myself (college student) you really don't.

There are desperate people out there in america and rich people don't want to see the consequences of even 1% tax decrease, they just don't want to pay so much. But they don't care because they live in gated communities with heavily paid officials and trained guards with surveillance.
meanwhile people live in the ghetto and mug other people for worn sneakers.
i'm done with this, I am getting thoroughly angry.

Consider that tax you pay, an insurance tax against someone mugging you the enxt time you go to the atm.

Impulsivity said:
TheRealMafoo said:
akuma587 said:
TheRealMafoo said:
akuma587 said:
This reminds me of the South Park episode where all the music artists were complaining that there money was being taken from people downloading their music, and one of them could only buy a toilet made of silver rather than a toilet made of gold.

What would the founding fathers say if we allowed 50% of the country to suffer so that 1% of the country could keep a slightly higher percent of their income? Do you think that is government by the people for the people?

Really you don't have to redistribute wealth in the form of handing them a check, but more in that they are taken care of if shit hits the fan, specifically when they need healthcare and what little retirement they had has run out.

I do understand why you think it's ok you take away there rights. They are rich and it makes them an easy target. None the less, it's wrong.

The time when you need to stand behind what's right, is when it's hard to do so. Not when it's easy.

Also, I would understand if the poor are poor because of the rich, but that's not the case. The rich are not holding anyone down.

Oh, and the bailout that I was adamantly against was the opposite. Talking money from the middle class and giving it to the wealthy. Equally wrong.

So what is a more important right to protect?  That someone gets to keep a little bit more of their money, or that someone gets to keep their life?

Every dollar of mine you take, is time of my life you take away from me, as it took time to earn it. Why is my life worth less to you?

Why are the lives of the thousands of workers that make up the pyramid that is the modern corporation worth less then 1/300th the life of the CEO at the top (the average American CEO now makes over 300 times the median workers wages)?  How much would a CEO be making with no workforce?

The problem is that not many are qualified to do a job of the CEO...And I am serious when I say this...I prefer to have an normal job with an normal loan and especially an normal life.  So many CEO's have 7/7 workweeks yeah they get a huge loan but the most of them have a horrible life.  So many people have a full time job and can take a second job for in the weekend but the most don't want to give up their free time for just some extra money and I am one of them.

So essentially, you're problem is ideological, not practical. The fact that your country has a grossly lobsided distribution of wealth with a large segment of the population being deprived is acceptable, while an attempt to assist millions of people in need is unacceptable because it does not fit in with your specific ideological framework.

When you don't care what happens to the people of your country as long as it abides by an ideology , that's troubling.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network

Anyone who acts like many super-rich people in this country are all more qualified seriously needs to wake up. Most of the really talented people are in the top 2-10%, not the top 1%.

As Chris Rock so aptly said it (loosely quoted), "A white C student in America can become president (Bush), while a black C student can't even become the manager of Burger King."

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

I almost responded with a ridiculously long response, but then I said F it. Just think about this.

Top 10% of our country hold 64% of the wealth. I believe the top 1% holds something like 40%(not sure on that one)

If someone is making, lets say, $5,000,000 a year, raising their taxes 3% (LEVELS OF THE CLINTON YEARS BTW) they will be paying $150,000 more a year. Tiny bit to them (one less ferrari), but you can buy insurance for 30,000 people with that money.

What is right and wrong in this situation? We're people ever REALLY supposed to become Multi-billionaires? Is that what the free market is truly about? They can keep their money since they "earned" it, but for fucks sake your saying that they cant help THEIR FELLOW AMERICANS by giving off 3% more of their yearly payments to provide people with necessary services to sustain life?

I am sorry but thats cruel. Its sick. And to me, that is not American. Americans are...or were I guess known for being people with good souls. We send money abroad, start wars for the wrong reasons where billions die, yet we can't offer up 3% of our income to assist the people who grow up with us, buy our products, fight wars with us, and mourn our losses with us? GTFO. WWJD? Not what the "religious right"(oxymoron) does, thats for sure. (I am talking about the extremist, not the whole right. Sorry if I offend you)

I don't think rich people ever pay the full brunt of their taxes, anyway. Especially if you run a business, you stand to write off a crapload of stuff.

What I am concerned about, is every other infraction against the constitution that nobody cares about and/or is in full support of.

What people need to realize is that in the United States we have the unaliable right to challenge our government via Petition and if that doesn't work, Violent Usurption. Yet no one cares and we let the government regulate our ownership/use of arms. What angers me is that nowdays the average American considers protest to be "Anti-American" and Fascism to be patriotic.

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

I think the greater realization people need to make is that the Constitution, though at the time a wonderful document, is now horrifically out of date to the point where it just plain sucks. Of course, re-writing the constitution isn't going to happen for another hundred years but...

Screw the constitution. Do what's right.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.