By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The sad state of the US people.

Kasz216 said:

Says the person who said Palin is going to open up death camps.

Look at this person.  She would totally open up death camps!  She is even giving the Hitler sign.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network
Cueil said:
steven787 said:
Cueil said:
steven787 said:
Because he was a sweet old man. How is anyone going to bad mouth a sweet old man...

He ended the cold war and got us back to hot wars...

Ask your parents how fun it was to have air raid drills and watch videos of people being blown to shit by Abombs... I'm sure if they were in school in the Cold War they went through some of that... I think Lewis Black said it best... "That was a scarcy fucking time to"

Ask me if I like buildings being crashed into, or friends dying because they joined the military to fight terrorism and get sent to Iraq for no reason at all. This is called the age of Regeanism for a reason.

Your friends are obviously better than you... I wont go so far as to call you trash, but you lean dangerously close to being so. More people die from idiots in the US every year than have died from both the attack and the war... you can't seriously be angry that your "friends" had the sense of patriotism to join a military that fights to protect you. Regaurdless of where they are at now that is where their hearts where at and that's why they join. And they don't get sent to Iraq for no reason... if you still think we are not there for a reason you have mental issues... we went in there for the wrong reasons, but we are certainlly not still there for the wrong reasons

How is anybody in Iraq protecting me or my freedom?  How is anybody in Iraq threatening me or my freedom?

The Ghost of RubangB said:
Cueil said:
steven787 said:
Cueil said:
steven787 said:
Because he was a sweet old man. How is anyone going to bad mouth a sweet old man...

He ended the cold war and got us back to hot wars...

Ask your parents how fun it was to have air raid drills and watch videos of people being blown to shit by Abombs... I'm sure if they were in school in the Cold War they went through some of that... I think Lewis Black said it best... "That was a scarcy fucking time to"

Ask me if I like buildings being crashed into, or friends dying because they joined the military to fight terrorism and get sent to Iraq for no reason at all. This is called the age of Regeanism for a reason.

Your friends are obviously better than you... I wont go so far as to call you trash, but you lean dangerously close to being so. More people die from idiots in the US every year than have died from both the attack and the war... you can't seriously be angry that your "friends" had the sense of patriotism to join a military that fights to protect you. Regaurdless of where they are at now that is where their hearts where at and that's why they join. And they don't get sent to Iraq for no reason... if you still think we are not there for a reason you have mental issues... we went in there for the wrong reasons, but we are certainlly not still there for the wrong reasons

How is anybody in Iraq protecting me or my freedom?  How is anybody in Iraq threatening me or my freedom?

Well technically ever since Iraq started people have been importing all the terrorists into Iraq to take easy pot shots at the US army... rather then import them to the US.

Then again you don't live in NY so... eh not really.

Kasz216 said:

Well technically ever since Iraq started people have been importing all the terrorists into Iraq to take easy pot shots at the US army... rather then import them to the US.

I have always disagreed with this reason for the Iraq War. Exporting our problems to Iraq was immoral of us. 

Anyways, I do not agree with a proportional tax. The marginal value of one's income decreases as they earn more, so I do not support a "flat tax." To be honest, I have neither seen nor heard of a true flat-tax proposal. All of them have been progressive...some more than others.

A couple years ago a guy told me he was joining the army so he could go fight in Iraq to "defend my right to have a beer with my friends on a Saturday night." I asked him what he meant, and he started telling me I was an asshole and that I "couldn't even pass basic training" and laughed really hard.

Around the Network
TheRealMafoo said:
steven787 said:
TheRealMafoo said:

I am not against the government intervening in healthcare. I am against the government collecting funds from one group of people, to provide a service to another (and not to the people they collected it from).

If you do what you are asking, you are giving life to one group, at the expense of life and liberty of another.  Life because it takes time to earn it, and liberty because you have no choice but to do it.

In terms of the constitution, life means the government can not take it away from you. Not that it's there job to prolong it for you. I have no issues with the service in general, as long as it's a general service for all.

The only issue I then have with it, is the government sucks at everything they do, so why would they do a good job here? That's a different issue however.

Not really, it at the expense of a small portion of the wealth of another.  As far as your reasoning, it's just life; there will always be taxes.  You want to live in a country, use it's resources, it's services, it defense, etc, than you pay taxes.  Because the wealthier individuals actually use more government services, national resources, military defense, and genreally benefit more from the society they live in they pay more.

Sucks, just be glad you're not in that income bracket, if you feel that way.  I made a lot of money off the work of others when I owned my businesses, it's just the price you pay for being able to drive the new car, live in the nice house in a safe neighborhood... it didn't stop me from doing that.

When I wasn't back in school, my higher income provided me with more liberty than the taxes took away.

Let think of a hypothetical.  If there was a federal property tax or sales tax (on ALL transactions, not like states sales tax) the wealthy would still be paying a higher percentage of taxes than the poor compared to there income.

I will assume you didn't read all of my replies on this page, so I will say it again :).

I don't mind paying taxes. I don't mind paying more taxed then the poor. I don't mind paying more of my share then the poor pay.

I do mind paying for services I can not take advantage of, and solely because the president says we need to "share the wealth".

Again, like in my OP, I am more concerned that more Americans are not worried that our next president feels this way.

I know, I'm sure you saw me attacking the guy that was saying nobody should make more than 250k per year.

I am completely aware that we are two pragmatic individuals having fun by arguing over hypotheticals and ideology on the internet.  I also agree that Americans should be more aware of issues involving the two presidential candidates.  I'm not too worried, Regean started the drastic shift to the right for a quarter century and Obama will start the shift to the left... then someone else will come along who talk really nice and shift it back to the right when the country goes too far left.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

akuma587 said:
Kasz216 said:

Says the person who said Palin is going to open up death camps.

Look at this person.  She would totally open up death camps!  She is even giving the Hitler sign.

Our leader.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Jackson50 said:
Kasz216 said:

I have always disagreed with this reason for the Iraq War. Exporting our problems to Iraq was immoral of us. 

Anyways, I do not agree with a proportional tax. The marginal value of one's income decreases as they earn more, so I do not support a "flat tax." To be honest, I have neither seen nor heard of a true flat-tax proposal. All of them have been progressive...some more than others.

Oh i disagree with it to.  I was just stating that it was a consequence of what happened.

It also was my theory for why the war started in the first place.  The oil excuse never made any sense and i couldn't really see any other reason for it since the guys telling Bush to invade were the same people telling Bush Senior to not invade.

Jackson50 said:
Kasz216 said:

Because even flat tax people who have any idea what they are talking know that a flat tax just won't work unless you put it at 30% or more.  And that would raise most of the country's taxes, which doesn't go over too well.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

akuma587 said:
Jackson50 said:
Kasz216 said:

Because even flat tax people who have any idea what they are talking know that a flat tax just won't work unless you put it at 30% or more.  And that would raise most of the country's taxes, which doesn't go over too well.

Yeah... well with government as it is. 

Which is why we should keep the tax system as it is... but not make it more uneven.

While passing a balanced budget ammendment.

Followed by massive cuts to the goverment.

Then transition into a reasonable flat tax.