By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The sad state of the US people.

whatever said:

Wow, after the patriot act, DMCA, guantanamo bay, illegal wiretaps, etc.  Your actually trying to make the argument that paying higher taxes is a freedom issue?  That's just plain crazy.

We gotta install microwave ovens
Custom kitchen deliveries
We gotta move these refrigerators
We gotta move these colour tvs

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
whatever said:

Wow, after the patriot act, DMCA, guantanamo bay, illegal wiretaps, etc.  Your actually trying to make the argument that paying higher taxes is a freedom issue?  That's just plain crazy.

In case you hadn't noticed, the world is going to shit.  Sacrifices need to be made.  For poorer people, this can mean joining the military and putting your life on the line (a large majority of enlisted men are from the lowest tax brackets).  For rich people, this means parting with some of your "hard earned" money.   Who do you think has benefitted the most from all of this deficit spending that has caused us to have over 10 trillion dollars debt?  It ain't poor people.

So suck it up, its time to make some sacrifices and pay back some of that debt.

Where did I say I didn't want to pay taxes to pay off the debt? Where did I say I didn't want to pay higher taxes? I said I didn't want people (not me) to pay taxes to support other people. It's not the job of this country to forcibly take time from one american, in order to give it to another american. That's loosing your freedom. It's the single most fundamental right of this country.

And the world is not going to shit. The world has been shit from the beginning of time. You just have never seen it because you have a form of government that protects you. That's going away, so your kids will have the luxury of seeing just how shitty the world can be.

Oh, and saying "let's take more freedoms away because we already have gone down that path" is not how I like to think. How about we fix the ones we have already lost?

TheRealMafoo said:

I said I didn't want people (not me) to pay taxes to support other people. It's not the job of this country to forcibly take time from one american, in order to give it to another american. That's loosing your freedom. It's the single most fundamental right of this country.

But that's already happening... Did you miss all the replies saying so?

According to you, many American people have been losing their freedom for years when they paid taxes. This is hilarious.

NJ5 said:
TheRealMafoo said:

I said I didn't want people (not me) to pay taxes to support other people. It's not the job of this country to forcibly take time from one american, in order to give it to another american. That's loosing your freedom. It's the single most fundamental right of this country.

According to you, many American people have been losing their freedom for years when they paid taxes. This is hilarious.

Sigh.... that's not the same.

Paying twice as much in taxes as a poor person, for a service we all receive, is far different then telling me I am going to pay for a service for that poor person, that I am not eligible for. 

I see how progressive taxes can be construed as indenturing people, but I am less worried about it if I am at least reaping a benefit from it.

Most of the time, rich people get more out of it. For example, Bill Gates has a much more to lose if we get invaded by another country, so it stands that he should pay more to protect it.

If I have an expensive car, I care that the roads are in better shape. I should pay more to maintain them.

Can you not see the difference?

TheRealMafoo said:

Paying twice as much in taxes as a poor person, for a service we all receive, is far different then telling me I am going to pay for a service for that poor person, that I am not eligible for. 

I see how progressive taxes can be construed as indenturing people, but I am less worried about it if I am at least reaping a benefit from it.

Most of the time, rich people get more out of it. For example, Bill Gates has a much more to lose if we get invaded by another country, so it stands that he should pay more to protect it.

If I have an expensive car, I care that the roads are in better shape. I should pay more to maintain them.

No, I do not see a fundamental difference between a progressive tax system and a progressive tax system with different brackets.

"Spreading the wealth" already happens in most (all?) countries in different ways and levels including the USA. That's why I'm puzzled by your argument. You make it look like a fundamental change is about to happen there.

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
whatever said:

We gotta install microwave ovens
Custom kitchen deliveries
We gotta move these refrigerators
We gotta move these colour tvs

Apparently our right to buy more toasters is more valuable than our right to not be spied on by our government and thrown into jail without being charged with anything.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

TheRealMafoo said:
NJ5 said:
TheRealMafoo said:

Show me one vibrant economy that doesn't have a progressive income tax.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

You know what gets me about these conversations? It's constantly the same, and two simple fact is ALWAYS completely ignored.

"Why shouldn't the money go to the people who need it to survive?"

First off, where is the line between "need" and "not gonna bother if I can get someone else to do it for me" ?
Seriously, answer this. You're acting like it's your right to take someone's money because they must be taking advantage of the common hard working downtrodden citizen. What about the NOT so hard working "citizens" They get a cut too? Just simply to keep them alive? On the off chance that they MIGHT become hardworking citizens? Who exactly is qualified to decide who actually should be getting this money? You?

And that leads us into part two: "Why shouldn't the money go to the people who need it to survive?"

Wait, are poor people going to get in line in front of mansions while the millionaires right $100 checks all day? I somehow doubt this. If you want to fight for this, you need to at least admit to reality. This money is going TO THE GOVERNMENT.
Say it with me now. THE GOVERNMENT. Run by who? Oh yeah. POLITICIANS.

Now that we've figured that out, we can say the whole question that you are fighting for here; "Why shouldn't the money go to the government for the Politicians to decide what to do with it?"
I don't know about you, but I've seen some of government work and how they handle money. You want THEM in charge?

"Oh, hey, come on, poor people, vote for us, and we'll give you money from these rich people. Oh, whoops, looks like they got miffed with having to fund our vote money, and decided to take their money and move permanently to a private resort where they can buy all the freedoms we have here, but without the same taxes. Now we'll have to find more money, but where will we get it? Oh right, we'll just get the next class down. but they can't afford as much, so we'll just make more people pay the tax so we get as much...."

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Cueil said:
steven787 said:
Because he was a sweet old man. How is anyone going to bad mouth a sweet old man...

He ended the cold war and got us back to hot wars...

Ask your parents how fun it was to have air raid drills and watch videos of people being blown to shit by Abombs... I'm sure if they were in school in the Cold War they went through some of that... I think Lewis Black said it best... "That was a scarcy fucking time to"

Ask me if I like buildings being crashed into, or friends dying because they joined the military to fight terrorism and get sent to Iraq for no reason at all.  This is called the age of Regeanism for a reason.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

steven787 said:
Cueil said:
steven787 said:
Because he was a sweet old man. How is anyone going to bad mouth a sweet old man...

He ended the cold war and got us back to hot wars...

Ask your parents how fun it was to have air raid drills and watch videos of people being blown to shit by Abombs... I'm sure if they were in school in the Cold War they went through some of that... I think Lewis Black said it best... "That was a scarcy fucking time to"

Ask me if I like buildings being crashed into, or friends dying because they joined the military to fight terrorism and get sent to Iraq for no reason at all.  This is called the age of Regeanism for a reason.

Your friends are obviously better than you... I wont go so far as to call you trash, but you lean dangerously close to being so.  More people die from idiots in the US every year than have died from both the attack and the war... you can't seriously be angry that your "friends" had the sense of patriotism to join a military that fights to protect you.  Regaurdless of where they are at now that is where their hearts where at and that's why they join.  And they don't get sent to Iraq for no reason... if you still think we are not there for a reason you have mental issues... we went in there for the wrong reasons, but we are certainlly not still there for the wrong reasons.