By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - A shot in the dark but.....

De85 said:
After the kinds of revisions they made to the chipset the only thing they could reuse would be the case. Also, as Cueil pointed out they would then have to deal with the inevitable class action suit, and massive bad press. I think the MS execs have probably had enough bad press by now to not even consider something like that.

In theory I suppose they could desolder all the circuit elements, but the cost would be prohibitive so I'm about 100% certain they're not doing it.

I'm no computer expert so I'm not going to pretend I am but couldn't the hard-drive and disc drive still be used?  What about the motherboard?  Does cracked soldering completely destroy the motherboard and in retrospect does a comppletely destroyed motherboard damage the other componenets? Thanks:)

Around the Network

uhhh,,,,,I'm sorry but M$ wouldn't risk sucha risky thing

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Three6T said:
De85 said:
After the kinds of revisions they made to the chipset the only thing they could reuse would be the case. Also, as Cueil pointed out they would then have to deal with the inevitable class action suit, and massive bad press. I think the MS execs have probably had enough bad press by now to not even consider something like that.

In theory I suppose they could desolder all the circuit elements, but the cost would be prohibitive so I'm about 100% certain they're not doing it.

I'm no computer expert so I'm not going to pretend I am but couldn't the hard-drive and disc drive still be used?  What about the motherboard?  Does cracked soldering completely destroy the motherboard and in retrospect does a comppletely destroyed motherboard damage the other componenets? Thanks:)

people dont send their hard drives in. and they have new disk drives as well.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

This thread is really stupid and has no basis in fact. Why even entertain these silly conspiracy theories?

/thread over

MrBubbles said:
Three6T said:
De85 said:

I'm no computer expert so I'm not going to pretend I am but couldn't the hard-drive and disc drive still be used? What about the motherboard? Does cracked soldering completely destroy the motherboard and in retrospect does a comppletely destroyed motherboard damage the other componenets? Thanks:)

people dont send their hard drives in. and they have new disk drives as well.

I dont get what your saying?  Sorry.

Around the Network

if you are right then sue the asses.

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

Ender said:
This thread is really stupid and has no basis in fact. Why even entertain these silly conspiracy theories?

/thread over

Well look at it this way...what about all the MGS4 threads about it being released or not released on the 360?  One of them will prove true one of them wont.  So why entertain either one?  Your opion on this thread being "really stupid" is appreciated though. :)

Three6T said:
Ender said:

/thread over

Well look at it this way...what about all the MGS4 threads about it being released or not released on the 360?  One of them will prove true one of them wont.  So why entertain either one?  Your opion on this thread being "really stupid" is appreciated though. :)

most of those threads have something more than your wild, random, speculation for which you have no reason to actually believe what you do.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Three6T said:
De85 said:

As far as I know it was the motherboard warping that caused the solderig to fail, triggering the RRoD.  When they designed the new chipsets I believe they moved stuff around on the motherboard to dissipate the heat more efficiently so old boards are useless. 

De85 said:
Three6T said:
De85 said:

I'm no computer expert so I'm not going to pretend I am but couldn't the hard-drive and disc drive still be used? What about the motherboard? Does cracked soldering completely destroy the motherboard and in retrospect does a comppletely destroyed motherboard damage the other componenets? Thanks:)

As far as I know it was the motherboard warping that caused the solderig to fail, triggering the RRoD. When they designed the new chipsets I believe they moved stuff around on the motherboard to dissipate the heat more efficiently so old boards are useless.

Cool.  I was under the impression as it being the other way around.  I thought damaged soldering caused by overheating caused the motherboard to crack.  Thanks again.