By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The 3rd Presidential Debate

Retrasado said:

48 ok, what does the fact that we have 3-4% of the world's oil reserves have to do with the fact we use 25% of the world's oil? obama fail

It's relevant when they're talking about energy independence. You can't be independent if you're using more than your share of the pie.

By the way, here is a fact check on energy independence:

http://www.theoildrum.com/node/4647

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
Retrasado said:

48 ok, what does the fact that we have 3-4% of the world's oil reserves have to do with the fact we use 25% of the world's oil? obama fail

It's relevant when they're talking about energy independence. You can't be independent if you're using more than your share of the pie.

That article fails to take certain information and ignore them.

• When politicians say energy independence, they mean oil.
  • When the author talks about the costliness of alternatives, he ignores the fact that that is the point.  The government will subsidize the development of cheaper alternative energy production for long term savings that will make it back for the tax payers.  That technology will be exported.
  • The price of oil isn't what is meant by discouraging terrorism.  If oil is made irrelevant by alternative fuels (by significantly lowering demand) then the middle east is made irrelevant, which means the U.S. leaves them to their own devices.  Terrorist win, we leave the middle east alone.  We win by having less threat from terrorism.
  • There's more, but I'm lazy.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

steven787 said:
NJ5 said:
Retrasado said:

That article fails to take certain information and ignore them.

• When politicians say energy independence, they mean oil.
  • When the author talks about the costliness of alternatives, he ignores the fact that that is the point. The government will subsidize the development of cheaper alternative energy production for long term savings that will make it back for the tax payers. That technology will be exported.
  • The price of oil isn't what is meant by discouraging terrorism. If oil is made irrelevant by alternative fuels (by significantly lowering demand) then the middle east is made irrelevant, which means the U.S. leaves them to their own devices. Terrorist win, we leave the middle east alone. We win by having less threat from terrorism.
  • There's more, but I'm lazy.

I don't think politicians mean oil independence by energy independence (if they do, they should be more clear). You could be right though, but I'm really not sure about that.

Regarding the cost of alternatives, what you say makes sense but doesn't totally negate the article's point; cost is still an issue, especially at this time of economic turmoil in which the government is already throwing money left and right (bailouts, etc). I have my doubts that investment in alternative fuels will be as high as required to achieve any good measure of energy independence.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

I have to give the debate to the big O, he was the better composed of the two canidates and I would gladly vote for him

I agree with his education plan, unlike most of you here I live with a teacher and have seen both the front lines and behind in the generals tent….it is a tragic system that pt to much on the teacher with out giver them money for it, this is a fact No Child Left behind is the biggest unfunded government mandate in history…this year alone to be able to teach my wife had to spend close to 500 out of our own pocket to get supplies for her class room and she only teaches 11 special needs students….tell me how that is right?

It is true that throwing money on the problem wont be the super fix there are multiple parts to fixing the problem getting funds into the teachers hands is just one of them

To the home schooled student, congrats on your achievements they are something to be very proud of. However you had something the majority of student in the country don’t, caring parents that were willing to work with you and bring your education to the fore front of importance

Mac Man liked to point out that the schools that get the most government money are not always the best in score….perhaps he has never heard of the term title 9? In the state of Indiana a title nine school gets the most money from the government for a reason, it is because over half of the student population is poor or impoverished…they come from a family unit more concerned with getting the next meal then getting a c on a report. My wife and the students she teach don’t care if they come to school or not and when the parents are not pushing the child to get an education what is going to keep the kid active in school?

Better and more responsible parental views on education is the other part of the solution

However since we cant get parents to grow up and take accountability for the education system they have help build the one solution left is try to fund the teachers and schools better so they can at least try to pick up the pieces

All polls I have seen say that Obama won handily. This election is over, folks.

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
Retrasado said:

North America has more oil than the entire Middle East---oil sands anyone?

Has any ticket won 4 out of 4 debates before? If so, has that ever happened without being followed by a ridiculous landslide victory, like the one that is approaching?

The Ghost of RubangB said:
Has any ticket won 4 out of 4 debates before? If so, has that ever happened without being followed by a ridiculous landslide victory, like the one that is approaching?

Interesting article on debate effects

http://election08data.blogspot.com/2008/09/debate-effects.html

Its official:

58% percent of americans polled smell what BaRack is cookin'

Barack won last night.

I was watching under the premise of an average voter, and McCain interrupted Obama several times and his body language was that of someone who wasn't comfortable. He kept saying "spread the wealth around".

Obama was asked questions and answered almost every single one (he probably missed just one). He went back when getting sidetracked by McCain and answered every question in which he had to backtrack.

After McCain said Palin was a "bresh of freth air" I was already convinced to believe Obama. Obama did say some things which I can't believe he can completely acheive, but in that debate, he presented himself more professionally and was leagues ahead of McCain in my mind.

But hey, I'm just a kid.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."