By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The official Killzone 2 thread of beta impressions/matchmaking/sharing...

makingmusic476 said:

Edited version:

Killzone 2 defines one of the best user experiences I have ever had from a console or pc shooter. The graphics, and animations are impressive bullet points on their own, but they alone do not convey how the whole user experience is crafted so finely that the class this game possesses is there for all to see. This game conveys the sight, sound and feel of war to me so well it feels like sensory deprivation that I cannot smell the action.

Im not going to pull punches in any way. I believe this game defines the first person perspective on console or PC. Its a game which can only be produced exclusively on a console because only one of the big 3 could have given this game the time and space to mature like it has. It wraps the weight of 100 pounds of body armour around you and slaps another 20 pound rifle in your hands and you feel it. Rather than try and force a round peg through a square hole, Guerilla Games has taken the tacticle advantages of the console controller and built an excellent game around them. Two analogue sticks can't do a balarina as accurately as a keyboard and mouse, and a keyboard and mouse can't give you the tactile feel of this game. 

This game gets far too much attention for its excellent visuals. People need to know that when you transition from just watching trailers and GIFs of this game to sliding the disk in and picking up the controller you'll see that just as much time has been spent on the playing experience as the viewing experience. Why will this game be successful? This game will not succeed due to a million different bullet points, the game is fair to noobs, and experts alike, so its fun for everyone. There are very real differences between the classes and ways to play online so however you want to fight, you're always going to feel like a part of the squad and a valuable member of the team. With the class system you can pretty much pick any role you want in the game so long as you've unlocked the prerequisites. You can be a soldier/scout who lets people know of concentrations of enemy troops. You can be a medic/soldier and hang back to quickly get your friends back into the action and turn the tide in difficult engagements.

Supposedly the game has an excellent and long single-player game, since theres no reason to expect any less polish and design work after four years of development and previewers which back me up here the singleplayer has been given at least as much care and attention as the excellent multiplayer modes. All in all it's both a top tier experience which defines what a FPS is about, and also an accessible one which will be loved by a wide variety of people for a wide variety of reasons. I think the best part about this game is the fact that so many people will be able to enjoy it, so those 4 years Guerilla Games spent working tirelessly, polishing this game will pay off.

Tease.

Around the Network

Heavily edited version:

Playing the Killzone 2 beta is one of the best experiences I have ever had from a console or pc shooter. The graphics and animations are impressive, but they alone do not convey how finely the whole user experience is crafted. This game conveys the sight, sound, and feel of war to me so well that it feels like sensory deprivation that I cannot also smell the action.

I'm not going to pull punches in any way. I believe this game defines the first person experience on all platforms. It's a game that could only have been produced exclusively on a console, because only one of the big 3 could have given this game the time and resources necessary to mature like it has. It's really amazing.  It wraps the weight of 100 pounds of body armour around you, and slaps another 20 pound rifle in your hands, and you really feel it. Rather than try and force a round peg through a square hole, Guerrilla Games has taken the tactile advantages of the console controller and built an excellent game around them. Two analogue sticks can't do a ballerina as accurately as a keyboard and mouse, and a keyboard and mouse can't give you the tactile feel of this game. 

Tbh, this game gets far too much attention for its excellent visuals. People need to know that when you go from just watching trailers to actually playing the damn thing, you'll see that just as much time has been spent on the gameplay experience as the viewing experience.  This is why, imo, the game will be very successful. It will not succeed due to a million different bullet points like lighting or animations, but because of the gameplay.  The game is fair to noobs and experts alike, so it's really fun for everybody. There are also very real differences between the classes and ways to play online so however you want to fight, you're always going to feel like a part of the squad and a valuable member of the team. With the class system you can pretty much pick any role you want in the game so long as you've unlocked the prerequisites. You can be a soldier/scout who lets people know of concentrations of enemy troops, or you can be a medic/soldier and hang back to quickly get your friends back into the action and turn the tide in difficult engagements.

Supposedly the game has an excellent and long single-player game, and there's no reason to expect any less polish and design put into the single-player as the multiplayer after three to four years of development (and previewers back me up here).

All in all Killzone 2's both a top tier experience which defines what a FPS is about, and also an accessible one which will be loved by a wide variety of people for a wide variety of reasons. I think the best part about this game is the fact that so many people will be able to enjoy it, so those 3-4 years Guerilla Games spent working tirelessly, polishing this game will pay off.

People still post here?

I want in beta ;_;

--OkeyDokey-- said:
People still post here?

I want in beta ;_;

Sorry.  Sony hates Australians (as does most of the world, like those bloody Austrians, though imo you're all the same), so you'll never get in the beta.

makingmusic476 said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
People still post here?

I want in beta ;_;

Sorry.  Sony hates Australians (as does most of the world, like those bloody Austrians, though imo you're all the same), so you'll never get in the beta.

Aw, come on. I love Australia. Sydney is beautiful.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

I've been enjoying the beta more than usual recently. Though I think it heavily depends on the lag and how many technical issues I'm experiencing at the time.

Nothing like encountering somebody and your shots not hitting the guy until you're already on the ground dead and then you get disconnected directly afterwards from a network error.

I will get Killzone 2 as soon as I get a ps3.