By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How much space does MGS4 really use on the BluRay Disk?

what i mean is that the OP is really asking this:
"How much space does MGS4 really take on the BRD,....... and would the size be hinder a possible 360 port?"
the part after the dots was for what he is really thinking.
With a front page article about mgs4 on 360, and i think 4 threads in the "Hot news" section of the main page, this kind of thread was bound to show up.

It seems to be someone who is in the middle of an argument with another and is trying to see exactly how much would need to change. Thereby he can reason that it is not a big difference and then justify a stronger possibility for the port to happen.

but this is ridiculous because it won't happen. Not because of the size, but because of the deal konami and sony had. Maybe, maybe a port 2 years from now, but no earlier.

Most of the data is high quality sound, which can be replaced.

Around the Network

I don't know if it makes a difference, but someone can definitely write down the entire code on one grain of rice.

FJ-Warez said:
So far there is no real evidence of a full 50 gb game and the more common estimates pulls the 30 gb figure...

Funny, Onyxmeth shows an interesting piece, all cutscenes are around 10 gb of data(Maybe recorded from the game), but a few months ago any MGS or any Sony fan claimed that everything was in-game, so probably the 30 Gbs are full of high quality audio + the game...

I though something similar.  The cut-scenes are in realtime.  So when you're watching a 12 minute cut scene, I don't think it's a 12 minute video clip.  I do think it's a script to run the event, and I highly the script would take up as much data as avideo clip.  But there is the audio that could be considered.

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

*puts on glasses*

I'm no computerologist, but I think it uses at least 74 kilo-jibs. Very impressive, if you ask me. Very impressive.

you really should play up the zapp brannigan personality more.

Around the Network
Nidan said:

For those that don't remember, Originally the devs were hating on BluRay because the speed of the drive was too slow. I

believe the MGS developers decided to place the same data in many different places on the BluRay disks to counter this

(which in some way defeats the purpose of a larger media format).

So in light of many comments talking about the number of disks that would be needed if it was ever on XBOX, i would like

to know does anyone know what the "real size" of the game really is?

Secondly does anyone know what size (or length in time) the video component of this game is now? (I am assuming that

the video component is highly uncompressed due to the bluray specs and could be compressed if put onto DVD?)

..Expand....

Currently Playing:  Saints Row 2 | Battlefield 2 | Company of Heroes

Recently Beaten: Gears of War | Super Mario Galaxy | Darwinia | MGS4 | Sam and Max Ep. 4, Portal | Mirror's Edge | Uncharted | Mass Effect

Looking Forward to: Alan Wake | Splinter Cell : Conviction | The Last Guardian | Batman: Arkham Asylum | SMG2 | Mass Effect 2 |

frybread said:

The Blu Ray drive is slow, so developers have to put repeate textures in each level. An example of this is R:FOM, which fills up the entire Blu Ray with the same data over and over.

If the drive were faster, there'd be less need for space.

true size of R:FoM was 4.3gb while there was 22gb data on BD disc. i'm guessing that with good compression mgs4 would fit on 2dvds.

As a worst case, let's say each act was put in a separate DVD... Wouldn't that still be better than waiting for a lengthy per-act installation?

Uncompressed audio should be one of the first few things to go, as the vast majority of people don't have the ears or the TV hardware to notice it.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Heard its around 50GB on 1080p/i

YOu could convert it.... but that would make it.. ? Lame? xD

NJ5 said:
As a worst case, let's say each act was put in a separate DVD... Wouldn't that still be better than waiting for a lengthy per-act installation?

Uncompressed audio should be one of the first few things to go, as the vast majority of people don't have the ears or the TV hardware to notice it.

HAHAHAHA!!!  There are a lot of things people don't have to allow them to take advantage of the niceties of life such as uncompressed audio, but that never stopped the promotion of it.  With your logic, everyone should just stop making progression in technology since the majority can never initially take advantage of it.  Also about the act per DVD, you have also to consider the manufacturers/developers.  "Too many" DVD's can end up costly in manufacturing cost, shipping weight, and physical storage space..

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.