By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Steve Jobs on Blu-ray, ouch!

Very hot off the presses. This was just said a couple of minutes ago in his laptop presentation. Keep in mind that Apple has a seat on the board of directors of the Blu-ray Disc Association. They also sell movies on iTunes, which I guess competes on some level with Blu-ray. Either way they make money I suppose.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/10/14/live-from-apples-spotlight-turns-to-notebooks-event/

10:56AM "Blu-ray?"

Steve: "Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt. It's great to watch the movies, but the licensing of the tech is so complex, we're waiting till things settle down and Blu-ray takes off in the marketplace."

Around the Network

How is that a blow to Blu-Ray ,that's well established.

Steve: "Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt. It's great to watch the movies, but the licensing of the tech is so complex, we're waiting till things settle down and Blu-ray takes off in the marketplace."

thank you steve for telling us something we knew already, how much did ms pay you to say that lol

@2 above,

How is it well known that it is complicated to license the tech? In fact, I wish there was more written as to why Jobs thinks it is difficult to license the technology.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Imperial said:

Well if it was something they thought consumers really wanted, wouldn't they include it in their premium product?

Around the Network

ok..but I don't understand the thread title & Fishy Joes interpretation of his statement....is it..

"right now blu-ray hasn't taken off.....we'r waiting for it to do so"

or

"blu-ray is crap so it hasn't taken off."

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Well there's obviously some issues in relation to the lisencing of the Blu-ray technology , evident in the fact that the number of people allowed to manufacture a Blu-Ray player is limited dispite the technology being availible to the mass market for 2 years .

@FisyJoe  "we're waiting till things settle down and Blu-ray takes off in the marketplace"

maybe you should read the whole text and not take it out of context , "we're waiting" and "Blu-Ray takes off" indicates too things ,

1 Apple isn't heavily supporting blu-ray at this moment in time likely due to the issues surrounding the lisencing of the technology , without the rights to re-produce the tehcnology businesses couldn't support Blu-Ray no matter how much they wanted to this is delaying the growth of Blu-Ray as a viable platform(not apple).

. 2 Apple has some confidence in blu-ray eventualy taking off as a viable platform , but due to lisencing issues this isn't possible.

What a Dull and General statement. He's a bit of a tosser anyway so i dont rate his opinion anyway

@fishyjoe

what the macbook air thingy??

I'm afraid I still don't get the point of that laptop....

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

FishyJoe said:
Imperial said:

Well if it was something they thought consumers really wanted, wouldn't they include it in their premium product?

Apple hasn't done anything for BD since its inception and they've been pushing Apple TV pretty hard (because they would obviously make more money there), I don't see how this is any news.