By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will LBP Get "Zack and Wikied"?

^^^^^ problem is Okami had critical acclaim too, on a platform with a much larger user base (PS2, then Wii). Critical acclaim gives people the ability to say "thats a shame!" but doesn't help sales, ever. You have to be absolutely out of your mind to expect the numbers you are claiming, especially for a new IP.

Around the Network

@ bardicverse who outside the hardcore gaming crowd knows that Okami is ? i'm not exactly sure what Okami is .

anybody got a link showing the budget for lbp??? nope don't think so.. once again just because its a sony blu ray game it doesn't mean it cost 500 million to make.... I highly doubt this game cost anywhere near mgs4 gears 2 gtaiv..etc to make...

URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
PSNTAG= Xander732

I'd guess the user generated content management is not going to be cheap since it will require substantial network services and administration. So while the development costs may not be enormous, the infrastructure required probably puts it among other big budget titles. Also the marketing budget will probably be as extensive as most other big budget titles.

Imperial said:
@ bardicverse who outside the hardcore gaming crowd knows that Okami is ? i'm not exactly sure what Okami is .

This is true, but how many casuals own a PS3 or will buy an expensive machine for one game? In other words, the extensive base of LBP sales will be from the "hardcore" gamers (God, I hate that term).

Also, on your point, the PS2 had a large hardcore gamer base, so theoretically it should have done a LOT better. It was original IP with great acclaim, but in the end, suffered due to not being amped up enough.

My point is that you shouldn't rely on critical acclaim to push a game. That said, LBP has a good buzz and marketing going for it. I expect 1-1.5 mil sales WW, which is still good.

Around the Network
bigjon said:

Now I think there is no way that LBP does not do at least 2-3x better in sales than Z&W. But I am talking in relative terms. Meaning will LBP do much less in sales than it should have because of its "differentness". Much like Z&W.

I want this game to do well, think a game that is extemely creative like this doing well will do wonders to diversify the industry (I like FPS games, but really, you can only play 1 at a time)

I think if this game sell 900k to 1.2 million based on how good the game is and budget it will have gotten Z&W.

I personally am hopeful it catches on and sells 2.5-3 million. We shall see if the testoterone charged "haloboy" types can get by its uniqueness.

It's not even possible for it to sell that low.  It might sell that many....in the first week.

Pff I expect a lot of 'X got pwned threads' in a few weeks X_X.

konnichiwa said:
Pff I expect a lot of 'X got pwned threads' in a few weeks X_X.

I'm not saying it WILL sell that many in the first week..but total lifetime sales of 900k-1.2mil?  You've got to be kidding me.  If you seriously think that, I don't even know what to tell you.

bardicverse said:
Imperial said:

This is true, but how many casuals own a PS3 or will buy an expensive machine for one game? In other words, the extensive base of LBP sales will be from the "hardcore" gamers (God, I hate that term).

Also, on your point, the PS2 had a large hardcore gamer base, so theoretically it should have done a LOT better. It was original IP with great acclaim, but in the end, suffered due to not being amped up enough.

My point is that you shouldn't rely on critical acclaim to push a game. That said, LBP has a good buzz and marketing going for it. I expect 1-1.5 mil sales WW, which is still good.

There are enough casuals to buy an extremely large amounts of Madden, FIFA, PES, Singstar, Guitar Hero, Need for Speed, even WWE. Those are all casual games. Not in the same vein of Cooking Mama, but are casual games nonetheless.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

FishyJoe said:
I think SMG is a better comparison for LBP. They are both flagships for their brand and have full backing by their systems.

Mario: One of the oldest characters in gaming and certainly the most recognizable, never had a poorly ranked game in the main series.

LBP: New IP.

Stupid comparison Fishy.