By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Best Non-Games

With two big non-games coming up, Wii Music and LBP, I thought it would be nice to have a non-game thread.

Wikipedia defines non-game as,

The main difference between non-games and traditional video games is the apparent lack of goals, objectives and challenges. This allows the player a greater degree of self-expression through freeform play, since he can set up his own goals to achieve.

Here are my favorites,

1. Electroplankton  (ds)

2. Mario Paint  (snes)

3. Sim City (the whole series, PC)

4. Microsoft Flight Simulator (whole series, PC)

5. Harvest Moon series (various)

Other people's:

• Little Big Planet (beta)
  • Animal Crossing
  • The Sims 
  • Caesar (series, clones)
  • Tycoon games (Transport, Rollercoaster, etc.)
  • Home (beta)
  • Endless Ocean

Can anyone think of any other good ones?

----------

Non-game vs game

I wanted to list GTA, but I don't know.  Do you guys think GTA 1 is a game?  Neither I nor anyone I know had ever played to gain points and I think the uniqueness was that it was a sandbox, not a point grinder. Everyone makes their own objectives.

And what about Wii Fit?  I didn't want to list it, since a certain weight is the goal and you'reconstantly being scored, so it seems too much of a game to be a non-game.

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8

Around the Network

I really like metal gear solid digital graphic novel, I guess it's my number one "non-game".

The Sims is a great example of a non-game, same with Animal Crossing and Home, Second Life, etc.

I don't care for any of them so I didn't list them.

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)

MGS4, it was one of my favorite movies to watch on youtube.

Wii Fit is also really fun too though.

wfz said:
MGS4, it was one of my favorite movies to watch on youtube.

Wii Fit is also really fun too though.

"The main difference between non-games and traditional video games is the apparent lack of goals, objectives and challenges. This allows the player a greater degree of self-expression through freeform play, since he can set up his own goals to achieve."

The goal of Wii Fit is to help you lose/gain weight and become more aware of your overall health.  So I guess it is a game.

Pixel Art can be fun.

Around the Network

You're going to need to redefine non-game for me.

Because if it's not having to work towards anything in particular, the entire Harvest Moon series is the greatest non-game ever made.

Yes, most players will try to build a farm and make lots of money, but you by no means have to.

Great example, Harvest Moon is an excellent non-game, definitely in my top 10.

Man I could play that non-game all day!

If The Sims and Sim City are considered non-games, then they're my choice, who knows how many hours I wasted on those games

Sierra/Impression Games made a few ''city builder'' games that were pretty damn good:

- Caesar series (PC)

- Pharaoh series (PC)

- Zeus: Master of Olympus (PC)

- Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom (PC)

I have good memories of those games!

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!