By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Kojima: Japanese game industry is in trouble

Onyxmeth said:

Kojima is saying this because he bet on the wrong horse. His premiere franchise is continuously falling in sales every iteration and is generating much more hype than sales.

MGS4 already outsold MGS3.

You were saying ?

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Around the Network
Ail said:
Onyxmeth said:

Kojima is saying this because he bet on the wrong horse. His premiere franchise is continuously falling in sales every iteration and is generating much more hype than sales.

You were saying ?

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=6970&region=All

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=1328&region=All

Come again?

It's worse if you add in Subsistence.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=1329&region=All

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=18279&region=All

The Essential collection brings MGS3 up to like 4.69 million.

MGS4 is at 3.29 million, and dead in the water.

You were saying?

Onyxmeth said:

I agree, the only game that actually sold console this year, probably game of the year and made them money was a huge mistake.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Khuutra said:
Ail said:
Onyxmeth said:

You were saying ?

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=6970&region=All

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=1328&region=All

Come again?

It's worse if you add in Subsistence.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=1329&region=All

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=18279&region=All

The Essential collection brings MGS3 up to like 4.69 million.

MGS4 is at 3.29 million, and dead in the water.

You were saying?

Compare the curves, at the same number of weeks after the release, MGS4 is  way ahead of MGS3. ( MGS4 sold more in 5 months than MGS3 in 1 year)..

As for adds-on it's hard to compare them as none has yet been released for MGS4...

Ail said:
Onyxmeth said:

You were saying ?

Sorry I was going by VGChartz numbers. Can you link me to another source?

@psrock-At what point do you see MGS4 reaching the sales levels of MGS2 or the original? My point was that while hype for the game is still as sky high as it's always been, it isn't translating into equally strong game sales and that is because it is on a console that is not generating as well in hardware sales as the two other consoles the MGS games have been on. Kojima bet on the wrong horse from a sales perspective, not a creative one. He's the one bitching about the situation in Japan, not me.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Around the Network
Ail said:

Compare the curves, at the same number of weeks after the release, MGS4 is  way ahead of MGS3. ( MGS4 sold more in 5 months than MGS3 in 1 year)..

As for adds-on it's hard to compare them as none has yet been released for MGS4...

Curves is not what you said. MGS4 has not outsold MGS3 yet. It sold something like seventeen thousand units worldwide last week. Unless the boost it gets this holiday is absolutely unholy, it will never catch up to MGS3.

Granted, the holiday boost ma in fact be monstrous, and it may pass up mGS3 by 2010, but it has not happened yet, and it may never catch MGS2 or the original at all.

Yes, the series is declining. Slowly, but it is happening.

Onyxmeth said:
Ail said:
Onyxmeth said:

You were saying ?

@psrock-At what point do you see MGS4 reaching the sales levels of MGS2 or the original? My point was that while hype for the game is still as sky high as it's always been, it isn't translating into equally strong game sales and that is because it is on a console that is not generating as well in hardware sales as the two other consoles the MGS games have been on. Kojima bet on the wrong horse from a sales perspective, not a creative one. He's the one bitching about the situation in Japan, not me.

VGChartz is fine...

So far in 5 months MGS4 has sold more than MGS3 during it's first year, someone was nice enough to link the chartz up there, just clink on sales history inside those links to see them..

Onyxmeth said:
Ail said:
Onyxmeth said:

You were saying ?

That's Sony's fault, not him. How would he have known Sony would stop caring for the Japanese market. They should just release a 360 version.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

Maybe he is disappointed in the huge drop off in MGS4 sales....

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Ail said:
Onyxmeth said:
Ail said:
Onyxmeth said:

You were saying ?

VGChartz is fine...

So far in 5 months MGS4 has sold more than MGS3 during it's first year, someone was nice enough to link the chartz up there, just clink on sales history inside those links to see them..

We're talking sales here so try to use your words carefully. MGS4 trending above MGS3 in a comparable timeframe and MGS4 outselling MGS3 are not the same thing. I was right. You just had no idea how to say what you were were meaning. I guess my question can be answered by you also. Do you feel MGS4 can approach MGS or MGS 2 sales? If so, then explain how. If not, then explain how the series isn't declining.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.