By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii Music - off to a slow start in Japan?

Lafiel said:

@ Veggie )

I'm not sure if it's still supply constraint, but the first weeks/month it was which is why it's sales were relatively "low" then but didn't drop as fast as usual.

What I tried to say is, that it's a bad example for we don't know how much initial demand for Wii Fit was there - would it have sold 2 million in the first week if there were enough units? no idea, but the demand clearly was much higher than just the 250k it sold first week

Wii Music on the other hand doesn't come with some kind of hardware which limits it's initial shippment, so they should be able to satify the initial demand - that doesn't have to mean it must have bad legs, but I think it makes it very likely we won't see the legs Wii Fit had.

Okay I follow now. You're saying Wii Music will be a stark contrast to Wii Fit. It'll have a bigger opening but not as much legs, correct?

Around the Network

@ Veggie )

No, I'm saying there is a _chance_ Wii Music's legs won't be compareable to Wii Fit's, because it's shippments should be able to meet the demand.

The game still has enough of a chance to have great legs aswell, if it's able to generate new/more demand over time, like many of the "Wii XXX" games have done, but right now I wouldn't expect it to do as well as Wii Fit there.

What I'm really arguing about it is the use of Wii Fit as an example for this, for that game clearly wasn't able to meet the initial demand with it's relatively small shippments and hence generated much bigger sales for the following weeks/month as the game had had without those initial supply contraints.

This might break the 5 million mark by the end of the year,or even more with a christmas boost.

Oh no... Hanafuda hating again?

Don't you remember your sad attempts at trolling the last 2 times? You said SMG and Wii Fit were going to bomb badly. You ate crow twice, maybe this third time will be the definitive.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

I am under the impression it will be significantly less succesful that Wii Sports and Wii Fit.Just an impression ,the theme is way more niche.

Around the Network
Lafiel said:

@ Veggie )

No, I'm saying there is a _chance_ Wii Music's legs won't be compareable to Wii Fit's, because it's shippments should be able to meet the demand.

The game still has enough of a chance to have great legs aswell, if it's able to generate new/more demand over time, like many of the "Wii XXX" games have done, but right now I wouldn't expect it to do as well as Wii Fit there.

What I'm really arguing about it is the use of Wii Fit as an example for this, for that game clearly wasn't able to meet the initial demand with it's relatively small shippments and hence generated much bigger sales for the following weeks/month as the game had had without those initial supply contraints.

Yeah I didn't put chance. But I do agree with you.

did people think wii fit would flop

trestres said:
Oh no... Hanafuda hating again?

Don't you remember your sad attempts at trolling the last 2 times? You said SMG and Wii Fit were going to bomb badly. You ate crow twice, maybe this third time will be the definitive.

You should learn to read.

I never said Wii Fit was going to bomb badly.

I said I thought it would sell well in Japan, but not more than a million.

Yes, I was wrong, it sold way more than a million.

For Mario Galaxy, I never said anything about it, other than disagreeing with the 'experts' that said it would sell between 1 and 2 million in Japan.

To this date it has still yet to sell a million copies in Japan according to this site...

As for Wii Music, it doesn't have a gimmick.  Wii Fit had the balance board and the rather unique idea of being a video game that is actually good for you!

Seen as you are so interested in my predictions for Wii Fit, why don't you let me know what your predictions are for Wii Music in Japan?  First week, then lifetime sales.

PSN - hanafuda

I dont have a prediction, but I'm not going out on a limb saying X game will flop.

Also you did say that SMG was a bomb, I'll find the link and hopefully you won't lie again.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

I wouldn't worry too much about opening sales. With time we'll see it's weekly software rise, alongside more advertising. They're still crazy for Wii fit still, so they're riding that momentum.

Although i agree that Wii music will be the final test to see whether any Wii ______ game will sell 5 million+

I just want to play the damned game!

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask is the best Zelda title ever made.

"The Person Who Got the Closest to Winning the 1st VGC VC Giveaway, but still lost"