By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Can you scientifically prove to me that 2+2= 4?

Well?

I heard it was possible, but I'm not sure...

Do you guys know?

Around the Network

Scientifically? I'm sure there are mathematical arguments, but science is all about experiment as proof. So I would put 2 hot dogs in a pile, and 2 other hotdogs into another pile, put the two together to make a pile of 4, and then slap you in the face for making me do such an experiment.

Google said it.

Torillian said:
Scientifically? I'm sure there are mathematical arguments, but science is all about experiment as proof. So I would put 2 hot dogs in a pile, and 2 other hotdogs into another pile, put the two together to make a pile of 4, and then slap you in the face for making me do such an experiment.

The math wasn't proven in this case, though; it was simply exemplified with different tokens. A token is some physical representation--a sound, a mark of ink on a piece of paper, an object--that represents the unseen type, in this case, a number.

Sorry, let me clarify my last post.
For your hot dog case, the "proof" was simpley demonstarted, not proven.

Around the Network

So you want me to prove by experiment that two numbers put together are equal to another number without actually using any kind of representation of those numbers and providing evidence is not enough to prove the rule? I really really hate math.

I knew I would hate math when I learned about imaginary numbers.

I'll mathematically prove it to you.

• This is easily demonstrated
  • Add to both sides
  • This can be factored
  • Take the square root of both sides
  • Now add to both sides

Using properties of equality, we can makes this 2+2=5. Wait...

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

Can you scientifically prove to me that what I'm typing right now actually forms a legible sentence and has meaning?

MontanaHatchet said:
Can you scientifically prove to me that what I'm typing right now actually forms a legible sentence and has meaning?

Yeah, it's kind of a linguistic abstraction. Kind of hard to prove that "4" has meaning and equates anything, let alone 2+2=4...if you want to be a dick about it that is.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.