By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - My Project Vista/OSX computer

So I've been wanting to upgrade from my powerbook G4 for awhile now. It's a good computer but getting to be slow so I've been looking at my options. I priced out new Imacs and even with the student discount they are just too expensive. So instead I opted to build my own for a everyday OSX system as well as gaming under vista. I looked at what other people have built and closely followed their system builds. It wasn't designed to be really fast, just something well-spec'd for my purpose while being cheaper than the lowest end Imac. Here are the specs

(please note prices are canadian, we pay more than americans)

motherboard: Gigabyte EP45-DS3R $115 after $20 MIR

cpu: Intel Q6600 Quad Core $198 <- I was torn between the q6600 and the e8400 and i really could of gone either way. I went with the q6600 just because from what I read it would be slightly better in the long run.

ram: GSKILL PC2-8000 2x2gb $75

video card: ASUS Geforce 8800gs 384mb $53 after $30 MIR <- bought mainly because it was cheap and most nvidia cards work well with osx. I will upgrade this to something better when the price is right.

dvd drive: Pioneer 216DBK $27

hdd:
500gb 7200rpm Seagate $60

case:
Antec Sonata Designer White w/ 500w PSU $87

other:
two 92mm fans for the front of the case. $12

total including tax was $740 (so after MIRs it will be $690 all in for the system).

Still shopping around for a 20-22 inch lcd display.

I will post pics when I get everything this week and keep this thread updated with my progress. I also look forward to playing left4dead with you guys when it comes out. :)

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

Around the Network

Wait, what?? Are you going to use OSx86 or something?

epsilon72 said:

yes

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

ameratsu said:
epsilon72 said:

yes

Oh that explains things.  I was really confused for a second there. :)

The build looks good - just make sure like you said that you check for compatibility issues.  OSx86 won't work with all hardware out there.

a bit of an update.

i'm going to buy this monitor tommorow or on friday (LG 21.6 inch)
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10103576&catid=22335&logon=&langid=EN&test_cookie=1

The parts shipped on tuesday are supposed to be delivered on friday.

pretty much the last thing i need is a keyboard...

Around the Network

so the lg monitor was purchased on friday and i'm enjoying using it with my powerbook for now.

A bunch of parts got here today with the exception of the processor. I have everything largely put together, here's a few pics.

motherboard mounted, no drives installed

video card. 8800gs

drives installed, wires cleaned up a bit. i did clean up the bottom a bit better but that isn't shown here

hard drive mounting system and my 92mm fans

pic of the case. it has sound deadening material on both sides and the top of the case. it should be all ready to go on thursday when my q6600 gets here

comments/suggestions are welcome. i haven't built a computer in a long time but my roommate gave me a hand putting it together so it wasn't too bad. the plan is to install vista then kalyway 10.5.2 using this guide.

thanks for looking

it's alive!! I'm typing this from my new PC in osx. Now to install Vista and play some games. :)