By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Game Development Courses

twesterm said:
Rath said:
twesterm said:
Rath said:
Quite cool, though I'm going to (hopefully) join the industry through another angle.

Computer Engineering ftw.

Unless your schools CE program is just a CS degree, CE isn't the way to go.  All the CE stuff you learn that you wouldn't learn with a CS degree would be near worthless and you'll miss many important things that you would get with a CS degree (assuming you're going into programming of course).

If I was going into programming I would have done CS =P. Nah, I'm interested in going into the hardware side, for which CE should be useful.

But the industry doesn't need hardware people, not even for engine stuff.  :-/

The best you could really hope for is be their tech support guy (which is a fun job in itself, at a game studio at least) if you want to do hardware at a studio.

I was actually most keen to be involved in the hardware divisions at one of the big three.

Around the Network

Hmm.. i'm gonna do animation, but frankly i get ads about ski vecations and other things lmao. I really also doubt the educational stuff would apply to my country as any other i've found online only applies to the US or something.

Check out my game about moles ^

ioi said:
So what's the difference between CS, CE and SE?!

CS = Computer Science.

Teaches you programming principles, languages, a lot of theory, some hardware, and other things depending on your school.

CE = Computer Engineering

Teaches you some programming, and a lot about hardware, hardware design, logic.  I'm didn't do CE so can't say a whole lot about it.

SE = Software Engineering

I could be wrong but I think it's just CS light, or CS minus the hardware stuff?  I would guess more UML too?

twesterm said:
ioi said:

CS = Computer Science.

Teaches you programming principles, languages, a lot of theory, some hardware, and other things depending on your school.

Teaches you some programming, and a lot about hardware, hardware design, logic.  I'm didn't do CE so can't say a whole lot about it.

I could be wrong but I think it's just CS light, or CS minus the hardware stuff?  I would guess more UML too?

The way we have been taught is that Computer Science is working on small important pieces of coding such as algorithms and that SE is working on much larger scale projects which require less understanding of the very fundamentals of coding but much more code.

Rath said:
twesterm said:
ioi said:

CS = Computer Science.

The way we have been taught is that Computer Science is working on small important pieces of coding such as algorithms and that SE is working on much larger scale projects which require less understanding of the very fundamentals of coding but much more code.

CS can be a lot of things, but generally, yeah, you're about right.  I think SE is more planning, planning out those large projects, and then splitting it into those smaller pieces that the CS people would work on.  Maybe a better way to say it would be a more specialized project manager?