By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Has the momentum shifted?

PS3 had a great start to 2008. It was outselling the 360 in others, Japan and US where the 360's biggest market is. Then the release of MGS 4 came and although sales weren't earth shattering the game was a critical acclaim getting many 10/10 from sites like Gamespot and IGN.

However E3 came around and MS delivered the shocking announcement of FF XIII. And then the price cut which has lead to 1.5 month of great sales outselling the PS3 by 200K since the start of September so far.

TGS came around and MS delivered another announcement of Tekken 6 which stole even more thunder from the PS3. MS now have the cheapest console on the market & the biggest variety of games.

MS have Sony cornered and even if Sony are to come out of the corner its going to be a bloody fight.

End of '08 predictions (made by theprof00): PS3: 20m, 360: 23.5m, wii: 42m

Now Playin':  PS3|Resistance 2, LBP, Uncharted and Fifa 09, PSP| Ratchet and Clank: Size matters, 360| Gears of war 2 and Fallout 3.

Around the Network

I don't think the long term momentum has changed yet.

Sony still has a bunch of cards to play and on top of that the releases of blockbusters movies in Blu-Ray is starting to generate some hype and 90% of the population still links Blu-Ray to the PS3.( 500 000 + Iron Man copies, expect Dark Knight to do 1 million +).

The current crisis is not helping Sony though....

PS : getting FFXIII was huge, I really don't think Tekken 6 is that big of a deal though..). Sony big issue right now is the lack of JRPG and the fact that fans of those are probably moving to the 360 as they are tired to wait...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

is Little Big Planet a "system seller".. we will find out soon.

Ail said:
I don't think the long term momentum has changed yet.

Sony still has a bunch of cards to play and on top of that the releases of blockbusters movies in Blu-Ray is starting to generate some hype and 90% of the population still links Blu-Ray to the PS3.( 500 000 + Iron Man copies, expect Dark Knight to do 1 million +).

The current crisis is not helping Sony though....

PS : getting FFXIII was huge, I really don't think Tekken 6 is that big of a deal though..). Sony big issue right now is the lack of JRPG and the fact that fans of those are probably moving to the 360 as they are tired to wait...

Tekken 6 wasn't VERY huge but it shifted more momentum to the 360.

Now Playin':  PS3|Resistance 2, LBP, Uncharted and Fifa 09, PSP| Ratchet and Clank: Size matters, 360| Gears of war 2 and Fallout 3.

http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=All&cons2=PS3&reg2=All&cons3=X360&reg3=All&start=39362&end=39726

360 down 14K

PS3 up 15K

ZOMG if this trend continues PS3 >>>>360 soon

j/k

don't call 5 weeks a trend....especially not when 3 of these weeks had a 360 price drop one after the other

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

wow Tekken 6!!!

another great fighter coming to 360.

Not really since ps3 can't stay forever 400$. Who knows we may see xbox 720 before sony is going to cut the price.

darthdevidem01 said:
http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii®1=All&cons2=PS3®2=All&cons3=X360®3=All&start=39362&end=39726

360 down 14K

PS3 up 15K

ZOMG if this trend continues PS3 >>>>360 soon

j/k

don't call 5 weeks a trend....especially not when 3 of these weeks had a 360 price drop one after the other

I'm not only talking about sales. I mean exclusive games the 360 has stolen as well. MS have fought tooth, nail and hair to secure games for their userbase while Sony really SO FAR done much at all.

MS is delivering this Gen, and has surprised everyone, including me!

The PS3 is a great console, but I think even they are surprised at how their complete dominance has been flipped on its head.

Nintendo swooped in, and totally outsold both consoles.

IMO, I think by the end....the 360 will finish 2nd...IMO!

@ultimate_123

after FF13 went it was obvious anything could go multiplat.

so really thats why you didn't see forumn meltdowns n Namco Bandai boycotts....everyone was prepared.
as for securing games

SONY has started 2 great new IP's this gen..Resistance & Motorstorm for which I am happy. & LBP will be the third

we Have WKC coming next year & we have GOTY 08 MGS4.

SCEE, SCEA have done LOADS.....SCEJ have done NOTHING

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey